Chapter Six

I go into acting class on Monday feeling triumphant and trying to resist the urge to smile from ear to ear. However, a lot of my other classmates don't seem to care about my sky rocketing level of joy and continue with their own conversations as I sit down in my seat. Only a few moments pass before Nat walks into the room and we're both beaming at one another.

"Hello, daughter," she says in an emphasized English accent as she approaches and sits down in her seat next to me.

I let out a laugh of both amusement and excitement.

I already knew from the cast email last night that Nat was cast as Amanda Wingfield, or the character that will be my mother in the show, but I haven't had the chance to actually celebrate with her in person.

"Hello to you too," I say. "And a big congratulations!"

"Same to you. We really killed it on Friday!" she says.

We really did. Every scene we did together was perfect and she was my favorite Amanda to read with. We always seemed to be on the same page with the scene, which provided us with great chemistry as we tried to make both ourselves, and each other, look good.

Just as I'm about to answer her, Evan walks into the room and it's clear to see that he isn't feeling quite as peppy as either Nat or myself. His shoulders are slightly slumped and his head is pointed down to ground as he stares at his shoes. It's a state that I've never seen him in, nor did I ever expect to see him in. Suddenly I feel as though I need to swallow my excitement and pride about my new role. I almost feel guilty for making it into the show.

"Hey," I say as Evan takes his seat.

"Hey," he offers back, his voice quiet.

"How's it going?"  I ask.

            I want to make sure he's okay, but I really don't want to upset him. He received the same email as Nat and I did. Meaning not only did he see that he didn't get cast, but he saw that both of us did.

            "Fine," he shrugs. "Don't worry about me."

            But I can't really take his advice. I am worried. I know what it's like not to get cast. It's a definite kick in your confidence.

            "I'm just a little bummed," he carries on. "I know it's my fault that I wasn't able to make it to callbacks, but I thought Daniel really liked my original audition. I thought I still had a chance."

            I nod at his words, a frown now on my lips instead of the large smile I had been sporting since I saw the cast list.

            When I hadn't seen Evan at the callbacks on Friday I had been scared that he hadn't been invited back. However, Nat told me that wasn't the case and Evan said he couldn't make it because he got called into work. However, Daniel had given Evan a lot of positive feedback from the first audition, and Evan was keeping hope that maybe he would still make it into the show.

            It appeared that he hadn't though.

            "Going to callbacks would have definitely helped, but the main thing to remember is that Daniel still saw how strong of an actor you are. He'll remember that for the spring show and when auditions come around, we'll make sure you'll be at those callbacks. Not only that, you'll knock the whole thing out of the park!" I try to reassure him. It reminds me of how he tried to offer me some confident words before my audition, which I really appreciated.

            "Thank you," Evan said with a nod, a smile slightly cracking onto his lips.

            Just then, Daniel walks through the door, his hair looking as though he's been attempting to pull it out of his own head. However, it just leaves strands sticking up in every direction as if he's trying to impersonate Einstein himself.