Chapter Twenty-One

Styles and I go to a small café only a block away from the bookstore and I tell him about Ethan Turner and Caroline Lambert.

I tell him that Ethan and I began dating our junior year of high school and that after only three months of dating Ethan told me he loved me.

I tell him that I never told Ethan that I loved him back. Not even after six months. Not even after twelve.

I tell him that I liked Ethan and the way he would draw me cartoons during every science period we shared during junior year.

I tell him that Ethan always told me that he wanted to marry me.

I tell him about when Ethan claimed he couldn't hang out one weekend because his grandmother was in town.

I tell him about how I found Ethan and Caroline in a compromising position in one of the bedrooms when I was at a small get together that same weekend.

And then I tell him that I'm so glad I never told Ethan that I loved him, not only because I never had, but because then I could save it for someone who deserved it. For someone who deserved to be my first love.

I'm still not sure why I told Styles any of this.

However, as we both finish our coffee and Styles tells me he's sorry, I'm glad that I did.