Chapter Twenty-Eight

Styles and I don't talk for a few days. Actually, after the Christmas party I don't really talk to anyone.

I spend the first couple of days walking around in a daze, trying to make sense of my thoughts while also trying to ignore them. But in the end, my mind falls back on the moment where I'm standing with Styles in the street, staring into his green eyes while he holds me in place. I can almost still feel his hand pressed into my cheek, sending currents down my body.

My dad seems to notice my distant state as he eyeballs me over dinner one night.

"You okay, kid?" he asks before taking in a forkful of chicken.

I don't really look at him, just keep cutting up my own piece as I separate it from my vegetables.

"I'm fine. Why?"

"Because you've been holed up here the past couple of days walking around like some kind of zombie," he tells me.

I shrug. "I guess I've just been taking some down time now that the semester is over."

My dad doesn't seem to buy it though.

"Did you and Liam break up or something?"

My eyebrows pull together as I look up at him.

"No, not at all. Does it seem like something is wrong between Liam and me?"

My words come out fast and my dad's eyes widen, surprised by my sudden change.

"No. I was just going through all the possible options of what could actually be wrong," he says.

"Nothing's wrong," I say. "I'm just tired, dad."

It's not exactly a lie. I am tired. Exhausted, actually. However, it's mainly because I'm emotionally drained.

Ever since that night with Styles I've felt almost guilty about everything. Nothing happened between us because I didn't let it, but I can't stop wondering what could have happened. If I had let him continue looking at my lips. If I hadn't stopped him by mentioning Liam.

Styles was giving me all the signals that he had the intent of kissing me right there in the snow, and yet I had never found out if those were his real motives. And if they weren't then I really made a fool of myself.

He had been giving me those signals though, right?

Guilt rises all around me again as thoughts of Styles and Liam swirl all around me. The fact that I'm feeling so mixed up about Styles while having feelings for Liam makes the pit in my stomach grow each time I think about it. Even though Styles hadn't kissed me that night, I couldn't ignore the fact that I had wanted him to.

But that's not something I want to tell my dad over dinner, especially since he has no idea who Styles is currently. Or maybe ever.

"How about you, me, and Liam have dinner on Friday? I'd really like to meet him and figure out who has been spending so much time with my little girl," dad says with a hopeful smile.

Due to all the emotions spiraling around within me, having a dinner with both my dad and Liam doesn't exactly sound like the greatest idea. However, I want to humor my dad because I know the dinner would mean a lot to him. Plus, maybe if I just wrap myself in Liamland then I can start clearing away whatever the heck is going on with Styles and my emotions.

This friends thing isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

"Sure, dad. That sounds great. I'll text him tonight and see if he's free."