Brokenhearted

Rainbow Dash was beginning to lose her mind. The look from Rarity was pressuring her and if she waited any longer, Rarity would probably get angry.

"You can do this!" she told herself. "Remember, you're doing this for Rarity!"

Rainbow took a deep breath and began,

"Rarity, from the moment I met you, I knew there was something special about you. Ever since then, I've been trying to decide how to express it to you, but I never felt like I was good enough for you. I wanted to tell you how much I love someone, with the someone..." Rainbow paused to take a breath. "...being you."

Rarity stepped back in shock and Rainbow wondered if she'd said something wrong.

"It's okay if you don't feel the same way," she quickly added. "But..."

"Rainbow." Rarity spoke gently, her voice flowing through Rainbow's ears like water through a stream, soft and gentle. "Why would you think you could just tell me and expect to get a result right away? I need time to think about it." Rainbow Dash wished she was anywhere else as Rarity stepped around her, pushed the door open, and left.

Rainbow stayed back. She closed the door slowly and then started shouting at nothing as a waterfall of tears began falling from her eyes.

"This was just what I was afraid of!" she wailed. "She doesn't feel the same way, but when she said it like that, she-she... humiliated me! I can never face anyone close to her again without everypony else finding out that I was rejected by one of the most popular ponies in Equestria!"

Rainbow laid down in the dirt and continued crying.

I just want to die, she thought. Someone hand me a knife and let it be over.

Suddenly, the door opened again and Applejack stepped into the doorway. She walked over to where Rainbow was curled up on the ground and laid one hoof on her head.

"I heard everything, sugarcube," she murmured.

Rainbow turned her head to look at Applejack, her vision almost blinded by tears.

"She rejected me, Applejack!" Rainbow whimpered, recognizing her friend through her voice. "I told you this was crazy!"

"She didn't outright reject you, Rainbow Dash," Applejack exclaimed. "She's just shocked that you've only told her this now. She's already stressed with the arrival of more dress orders, so-"

"That doesn't mean that she has to act so mean!" Rainbow picked herself up from the ground and flew out the door.

Applejack stared after her in surprise, then sat down and put her head in her hooves. This is all my fault.