Kirk - Sick Kitty pt 2

Kirk walked next to you, carrying Gunner. The cat was calm, despite the hustle and bustle of the hallways. People stared at Kirk, smiling as the passed.

"Nice cat, Captain," an ensign said as she passed.

"Thanks," Kirk muttered.

You smiled at him, chuckling a little.

"What?" Kirk asked.

You continued to smile, chuckling a little bit more. "I don't think the crew knew you had a cat, Captain."

"Well now they know," Captain muttered.

"Gunner suits you though," you said, your smile falling while looking at Kirk. "I mean, he's black and white and cute, like you."

"I'm black and white?" Kirk said, flashing you an offended look. He smiled almost immediately, which made you smile too.

"I meant you're cute," you said, hitting Kirk's shoulder gently.

"Thanks. I love it when people compliment me," Kirk said as we walked into medbay.

Bones noticed when we walked in and met us at a medical bed. Kirk set Gunner down and tried to keep him in one place.

"What's wrong with him?" Bones asked.

"He has feline distemper," you answered.

"Oh," Bones said gravely.

"I don't like the sound of that. Can you save Gunner?" Kirk asked, his voice breaking.

You grabbed Kirk's arm and looked him in the eye.

"Gunner will be fine. I'm taking care of him," you said.

--

Gunner laid curled up, purring away in his new box in medbay. He was on the road to recovery. Kirk was visiting him every single day, making sure he was fed and had the proper care.

You watched Gunner from across the room. He was sleeping, like usual. He was almost always sleeping. You heard the door to medbay slide open. You turned to see Kirk walking in. He walked over to you.

"How's Gunner?" He asked.

"He's getting better. It's almost out of his system," you answered.

"When will he able to go back to my quarters?" Kirk asked.

"Possible next week," you said.

Kirk grabbed your hands, looking you in the eye. "Thank you, for taking care of Gunner. I'm going to make it up to you, I promise."

"No, Kirk, it's fine. You don't have to do something," you said.

"No. I'm going to make it up to you, y/n. I'll make it up to you somehow," said Kirk.