Oliver coughs as he chokes on a piece of the red pepper that he has just popped into his mouth and stares at his friend. James seems to realise what he has said and is quick to make amends.

“Well, apart from me obviously. Because that would just be silly, wouldn’t it?”

Amy simply rolls her eyes and leans over the counter to take the pepper from Oliver before he can butcher it anymore and scoops up some of the filling from a bubbling saucepan and places it inside the vegetable.

Oliver and Amy are preparing dinner for their friends- Becca is bringing Tom over to meet Amy, Oliver and James for the first time and to say that the former is feeling nervous would be an understatement. Amy, who has found a passion for cooking due to the amount of time she must spend on her own when Becca is at work and the boys are away filming, was more than happy to cook a meal for them and has agreed to let Oliver help- for more reasons than one. Firstly, because it is something he enjoys doing and seems to make him relax. Secondly, Amy has noticed that he is more inclined to eat the food produced if he has some kind of input in its preparation. They are making stuffed peppers filled with couscous and minted peas and already a meat lasagne is cooking steadily in the oven. The peppers are more for Oliver’s benefit and Amy has already caught him eyeing them with something deeper than hunger.

By the time Becca and Thomas arrive, the food is nearly ready and James has shuffled all of his discarded magazines into a neat pile on the glass coffee table in the living area of the flat. It is he who opens the door to the couple, raising an eyebrow and making no effort to disguise the fact that he isn’t impressed by Tom’s appearance. Whilst James is dressed casually- in a pair of snug, dark blue jeans which are held up with a smart black belt with a loose, white shirt tucked in to them, the top two buttons undone- Tom is dressed in what can only be described as a suit. Like James, the top two buttons of his shirt are undone, but apart from that, their attire is completely different.

“Hey James!” Becca says quickly, desperate to break the silence as the two men wearily eye each other up.

She leans in to give him a peck on the cheek, which he returns.

“Where are Amy and Oliver?”

“In the kitchen,” James replies flatly, never letting his eyes leave the other blonde haired man.

Becca notices where he is looking and says,

“Oh! James, this is Tom. Tom, this is James, Amy’s best friend.”

James shakes the hand that is offered to him, but doesn’t say anything. It is Tom who speaks first.

“Not gonna invite us in then Blondie? Oh! Sorry. I meant Jamie.” He laughs as if he has just told the funniest joke in the world and James’s lips tighten to a thin line; he simply stares.

“It’s James,” he said in a deadpan voice and Becca flushes red and elbows Tom in the ribs. There is then a silence that is so awkward it is almost painful, before James says, his voice laden with sarcasm:

“Oh, of course. Just... come on in. Becca will show you through to the dining room whilst I... alert my friends of your... arrival.  

He then proceeds to walk so fast he is almost running, back down the hallway and into the kitchen where he slams the door shut behind him.

“That bastard!” he exclaims loudly, “I can’t believe how rude he is! This one has got to go Amabelle, I can’t stand him.”

“Guys...” Oliver says slowly, “if he makes her happy, then maybe we should...”

He stops abruptly as he catches the look that his girlfriend and his friend are giving him.