Chapter 46

"Carolla, wake up sleepy head!" Jordan laughed while pushing against the mattress, bouncing me up and down.

"What...?" I grumbled, rolling over.

"You're going on a-" Jordan excitedly squealed, right before Nicholls grabbed him.

"I'm what.." I said sleepily, rubbing my eyes.

"Nothing" Mat Nicholls smiled, "get up though, you need to eat breakfast."

I groaned and rolled off the bed, bringing a smaller blanket with me. I wrapped it around my shoulders I stumbled out of the room.

At the table, I ate, then saw Oliver walking from the back room upstairs,

"Carolla, hurry up!" He called out, "carnival, remember?"

My eyes widened. Crap! I thought because it didn't happen yesterday... I scoffed down my breakfast and went upstairs to my room, closing the door behind myself. I opened my wardrobe and tried to find something warm enough to wear.

My room's temperature quickly grew cold. I just had to get into the wardrobe and get my leggings, I already had a shirt and one of Oliver's jackets with big zip up pockets on.

Getting on my hands and knees, I reached in and grabbed them, then it sounded like something clattered and fell. My eyes widened, and I let out a small yelp. I went a little further in to see there was a wooden board from the wall that fell. I pushed it away, seeing as it was quite a larger piece, I was able to fit in the hole in the wall.

This wardrobe really was completely attached to the wall. I looked around, but it was pitch black. I tried feeling around for something, but almost nothing was there other than dust build up. That is, until I felt what had to be leather. I pulled it out, climbing back into the main area of the wardrobe so I could see what it was.

'A book?' I thought. I scanned through the pages, they looked at least 20 years old give or take. I scanned through the writing, it looked like another journal.

It wasn't quite word for word, but this was almost an exact copy of Oliver's journal downstairs... this was more than weird.

I heard Oliver call my name from downstairs, so I frantically put the wooden board back into place, forgetting to throw the journal back as well.

"Hey Carolla, you almost done?" Oliver called, now at my door. I shoved the journal into the pocket of my jacket, zipping it shut.

"Yeah just getting on my pants!" I hollered back.

I shut the doors of the wardrobe then put on my leggings, then opened the door,

"You okay?" He smiled. I nodded,

"Yeah, let's go!"

We were driving in the truck for a little over an hour before we actually made it back to civilization. The carnival was another 45 minutes minimum. Oliver talked my ear off the whole way, he seemed so excited. We got out to get some water bottles from the gas station. He asked me to fill up the truck and he'd pay inside.

When I finished, I put on the cap and looked inside the store. He paid then came over to me, handing me one of the bottles. He got into the truck, then I did. The wind blew in from my side right before I closed the door.

He looked at me oddly.

"What's wrong?" I smiled.

"You smell different.." he said, frowning. I laughed,

"I smell different? Oh no, how dreadful." He leaned over to me, unzipping and opening up my jacket. "H-hey!" I stuttered.

"I'm not doing anything like that," he laughed, but still focused on finding whatever the new scent was.