Chapter 34

I woke up in a truck, it was still dark outside. A heavy jacket was draped over my shoulders, even inside the truck was chilling.

A small tug against my shoulder from the seatbelt and the slow pace coming to a halt made me open my eyes more. After rubbing the sand from my eyes, I glanced towards the driver.

"We're here" he said quietly. Andy...
He had a lot of guts to be willing to get so close to Oliver's home. I could barely see him, but he leaned over the console in between us and gave me a quick, tight hug. It warmed me up a bit, then I briefly smiled to him before letting myself out. He said nothing, so I closed the door quietly and walked out in front of the truck. The headlights were on its lowest setting but still blinded me, it also gave me a somewhat clearer path to the main gates of Oliver's mansion.

I looked behind me as he already started to pull away, slowly driving along the road. I pushed the gate open, but it was locked.

The cold air burned my throat. I tried climbing the fence, but it was way too high.

My legs carried me around the gates, trying to find a lower point I could possibly climb over.

My feet trudged along the acres of land they somehow owned, there was no way I could get in.

I walked down the road for awhile, it led to a gravel road. I trudged along wherever something would lead me somewhere, it felt right.

After awhile I found a small path. It felt like it took forever just walking in no real direction. But each time I went somewhere, or took a turn, retraced my steps and ended up finding a different route, it felt right. It was weird.

For what had to be hours of walking along a path, the trail started to head upwards. My legs
Felt like they were about to give out until I finally got to the top and saw the lights..

I made it to the lookout point.

I clasped the jacket together and breathed into my frozen hands. It looked so beautiful...
Light slowly expanded above the horizon in hues of pink and red. There was just enough to see small highlights of what was around me.

The chills went straight to my bones and my legs froze under a pair of uncomfortable jeans. Before I could make it to the edge of the cliff to sit, someone was already there. My stomach flipped upside down and I stopped in my tracks.

"It's all right, I was just about to leave" he said.

The light slowly shone against him and his silhouette became more apparent. Oliver sat in front of me in complete melancholy and no care to even check who was behind him.

As much as I wanted to make witty, snide comments, my throat burned and ached. The gauze was still around my neck.
My voice croaked like I had the worst cold but I tried my best and took my time, slowly walking towards him

"I think... There's enough room for the both of us" I slowly managed to say. He stiffened at the sound of my voice and quickly got up to look at me.

Light etched around him and kept his face dark. In contrast, it submersed me entirely, illuminating my face. I stopped in my tracks just as he did, but he couldn't believe I was in front of him.

Finally, he slowly stepped forward like he was approaching a wild deer that could be spooked and run away at any second. He raised his hand to my cheek and his pupils dilated when we touched. He looked so sad.