Golden Goal

Dedicated to @Tamarrah_

17:17

Elfrida

“What did you just say, Dunni?”

“You heard me, Elfrida. We lost on penalties.”

How could a campaign so sensational come to nothing like this?

I can’t remember the last time my blood felt this cold. The ultra-soft sofa I’m sitting on has suddenly lost all its comfort. My right hand can barely grasp my mobile phone. My eyes can barely stay without shaking.

“Elfrida? Are you there?”

“Yes, I’m still here. I was just…blown apart.” Standing up right now, I feel incredibly weighed down, both in the literal and metaphorical sense. “What was the score of the penalty shoot-out?”

“4-3. Dennis missed the penalty that would have kept us alive.”

Something moist and fairly soft meets my lips. If I hadn’t just slid down the wall, to sit on the icy, tiled floor, I wouldn’t have realised my right hand covering my mouth in time.

“Do you know how he is doing?”

“He didn’t speak to anyone until he left school, not even his sister. I have never seen anyone look so broken and defeated in my life.”

This was all he ever wanted. And I selfishly, thoughtlessly took it from him.

“Are you still in school?”

“I’m on my way out right now. Extra lessons ended not quite long ago.”

“Alright then. Thanks a lot, Dunni.”

“Sure.” I hear her say, shortly before the line gies dead.

A little under two hours ago, I resolved to wait in school for Dennis as most students were doing for the team and the entourage. Until my dad materialised in my classroom around 3:30, I had totally forgotten the fact that he made a resolve of his. On getting home not long after, I galloped to my room and started digitally editing the corrections I made to my write-up without bothering to change. By the time I was done, only one thing was left on my mind.

The outcome of the final.

Given that Adunni was the only one in our group that followed the team out, she seemed the most logical person to call. And she delivered the bad news in a very concise manner.

If I had gotten myself together and informed Dennis much earlier, he would have recovered long before today’s game. If I had gone about Kofo’s advice in a sensible and thoughtful manner, today would have progressed normally.

I could only think of myself.

I was solely concerned about relieving myself of the truth’s burden, without considering where I was casting the burden. I didn’t care about how it would affect his psyche. Now, I have cost him and the school something dear.

This is how my life has always been; bad things always happen to the people I meet. I met my parents and my mom died. I met my step-mom and her son died. I met Dennis and his inner circle and their interrelationship was ruined because of me. I came into Dennis’ life and distracted him from his golden goal…

And now, he’s missed out on the very prize he greatly desired for over two years. All he ever did was show me genuine love and concern and all I did in return was to be inconsiderate.

People like me don’t deserve to live or be loved.

“I didn’t know you were still going back to school.”