You Get What You See

Elfrida

Today has simply been the best day of my life. I have refused to let the on-going collation bother me. In fact, no aspect of my life matters to me right now, not even my writing.

All because of my beloved cousin.

It hasn't taken me long to realise how much I have missed his company. And man, I have to thank God for his arrival. He has given me a new flame, a new refuge from the horrors of my past and present. If I had realized the value of this flame much earlier, things would have been much better for me right now.

It's almost three and I really need to get something to eat. I've gone through the rigours of the kitchen and right now, I'm on my way back. As you know, my parents are not arou.....

Oh my!

Please, tell me when and how Matthew got into my room!

He just turned to look at me. I turn aside to hide the fact that I'm blushing as hard as an idiot.

"Frida? Goodness me, there is something called knocking!" He says, laughing as he puts his shirt on. I must say, he has buffed up pretty good over the past three years, not forgetting his murderous abs. And dermally speaking, he's sparkling. No, I am not exaggerating.

"Come on, Matthew. You've got the guest room," I churn out. I'm more composed now, I guess. Matthew edges towards me....like really close to me. His eyes are like a dagger piercing through my empty soul. Weirdly enough, I haven't, in the least, felt empty since yesterday.

Finally, the sexy statue speaks.

"What if I told you I liked your room? Huh, cousin?" His eyes slide off mine down to the very ground. "If you see my presence as intrusive or anything, I should be leaving then."

No!

I rush to the front of the door and stretch out my arms. There's no way I'm letting him leave. Matthew takes a deep breath and shrugs his shoulders.

"Alright then. I'm welcome to stay. But I must remind you that a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways."

I let my arms fall. What a quote. But for a reason unknown to me, Matthew doesn't look too impressed.

"Don't tell me you haven't come across that or heard that in your life."

I shake my head.

Matthew throws up his hands in astonishment. "You should seriously start reading your Bible." After that, he walks past me and outside my room. I do not stop him. Without thinking at all, I trudge behind him, hot on his swift trails.

"And who are you to judge how spiritual I am?" I ask in a light-hearted manner. He stops walking. After a few seconds of hesitation, he turns to face me. "Consider me your guardian in all ramifications: spiritual, physical, emotional, social." He walks closer to me and leans on the wall. "And lest I forget, you haven't answered the question I asked you yesterday. I might be able to help you, you know."

"What are you talking about?"

He takes his body off the wall. "You're not one to play dumb, neither do you forget things easily. Dennis wouldn't like that."

Instantly, it all comes crashing back on me. Not just the fact that I mistook Dennis as my 'assailant' yesterday, not just that. For one reason or the other, I haven't even thought of Dennis for a second. It's really awkward, considering the fact that he has become an integral part of my life, regardless of how long we have been friends. Whatever power Matthew is exuding, it's not in any way ordinary.

"So, how long have you guys been dating?" Matthew says, startling me. Immediately, my face turns serious, red.

"I'm not in a relationship with him. I have never dated any guy, you know that."