Election Day: Part One

The past four weeks of my life have been the craziest.

Elfrida and I have had countless phone conversations and we have paid countless visits to each other, much to the heightening suspicion of my sister and mother. As far as I'm concerned, they can think whatever they want and they can say whatever pleases them.

Elfrida's introverted nature is something I have addressed to a plausible extent. I've gotten her to talk to Ehis, Najite, Adunni, Isaac and a few other friends of mine. Though she's flowing well with them, I can tell something is still holding her back.

Something is not right with her.

Sadly, I do not know what it is yet. Hopefully, I will, when I visit her today. Today is March 28, the day Nigeria's incumbent president will finally lock horns with the apostle of Change himself. Yesterday night, my father and his fellow professor friends talked and screamed over who would carry the day. Personally, I do not care who wins. I'm not politically apathetic, please understand me: Whenever my father and his goons argue, they always bring out the good and the bad sides of both candidates. Plus, the overall propaganda inherent in the campaign jingles on T.V and radio stations just make me sick.

"Dennis!" It's Amarachi, once again.

"What will it take you to knock before entering my room?"

"I'm sorry, Dennis." She fires back hurriedly. It's obvious she isn't sincere about her 'apology'. "Dad and Mum just went out to vote."

"Really?" My eyes turn to the clock. It's a few minutes past one.

"Apparently. Mum told you to get your food in the kitchen. Beans and plantain. They should be back by five."

"Why, thanks for the info. I guess it's the both of us today."

Amarachi shoots me a humorous look of disdain. Sometimes, I wonder what's wrong with this girl."What?" I ask. "You know you can't leave the house, let alone go to a polling booth."

"What's my business with polling booths? They can kill themselves for all I care. I'm going to see one of my friends. She lives down the street." I sneer at her and interlock my fingers.

"Good thing it isn't a boy."

"It's not as if your girlfriend isn't coming over." She narrows her eyes at me. "Or are you going there, as usual?"

By the time I've jumped off my bed, Amarachi is already bounding down the stairs as I pursue her. Suddenly, the ringing of the doorbell brings the both of us to an abrupt halt.

A thought just came to my mind.

Instantly, I brush it aside.

"I wonder who that could be." Amarachi says. Being much closer to the door, she edges further and brings an eye to the peephole. She lets out a "Hmmm!" before opening the door. You see, I was going to the party.

But the party has seemingly come to me.

"Elfrida! Hey!" Amarachi says, giving Elfrida a bear hug. And I'm just standing paces behind them, watching all the lady drama unfold. There is a drama queen in every girl, I tell you.

"How are you?" Elfrida asks with glee.

"Im doing very well, thank you. Are your pa...."

"He's right behind me." Amarachi says, cutting her short. I slap my face with my right hand as Amarachi looks back to smile at me. And Elfrida...

"I'm aware of that. I've got eyes, you know." Elfrida replies, motioning to me. "Are you staying with us?"

Us.