episode 1

A long sigh slipped through her lips as she stared at her reflection, her maroon nails tapping aimlessly on the wooden surface of her bureau. She reached up, tucking a strand of golden blonde hair behind her ear before tilting her head to the side as she examined her tired brown eyes. "It's Friday. You can make it through one more day, Em" she breathed, forcing herself to smile.

Catching the reflection of her clock that sat on the desk, a groan escaped her. "Shit" she muttered, deciding that the light eye shadow, mascara, light eyeliner and pink lip gloss would have to be enough.

She grabbed her phone off of her night stand, bending down and slinging her backpack over her shoulder from where it sat by the door. Running down the stairs, the sound of her combat boots on the wood filled the silent morning.

Walking into the kitchen, a small smile pulled at her lips as she spotted two pieces of toast sitting on the counter next to a banana. She walked forward, picking up the small, yellow sticky note that lay next to it. "Love you sweetie. I hope you have a good day! -Dad", was scrawled in blue pen across the paper. Rolling her eyes lovingly, she shoved the banana in her backpack, lifting the toast off of the counter as she headed towards the door.

Pausing for a moment, she turned to look around her house. "I'll be home soon" she breathed before pulling the door shut behind her. She grabbed her keys out of her backpack, stepping outside into the frigid, winter air.

A silent curse escaped her as she stared down at her light blue, ripped jeans and thin black sweater that the wind seemed to seep right through. "I knew I should've grabbed a coat" she uttered as she approached her car, hitting the unlock button as the headlights flashed in response.

She plunked down into the driver's seat, holding the crisp, buttery toast in her mouth as she pulled the door shut. Shivering softly, she placed the key in the ignition before starting the car. The engine released a begrudging roar before finally giving in, cold air rolling from the vents.

A loud groan escaped her as the low fuel light blinked a bright yellow. "Great. This is going to be a great day" she muttered before buckling in, cranking the heat and putting the car in reverse.

After a painfully slow drive in, bustling crowds of teenagers and a quick pit stop at her locker, she finally made it to class. Stepping inside, a breath of relief escaped her as the late bell rang. "Wow Em, you've really got to thank that bell. Why does it always seem to wait for you?" a girl from the second row called, a playful smile on her face.

A tired laugh escaped Emma as she took the open seat in front of her, dropping her heavy bag to the floor. "Dakota, how is it that you are always on time, if not early? I swear it's like a magic act" Emma grinned, studying the tan face of her friend and silky black hair that was pulled back into a long braid.

Dakota blushed, rolling her eyes softly as she shook her head. "I just set a schedule and stick to it. You should try it sometime" she shot back, earning a chuckle from Emma who grinned at the girl who sat behind her.

"Alright class" the teacher cleared her throat, tapping her knuckles on the white board. Her piercing blue eyes swept the classroom as she waited for the quiet murmur to finally die out. Once it did, she began speaking again. "Today we will be watching a documentary about the anthropogenic affects on the ocean" Ms. Jacobs announced, tucking a wavy strand of amber hair behind her ear.

Emma smiled as she leaned back in her chair, sharing a victorious look with Dakota. Sure this was A.P. environmental science, but every student knows that when the teacher plays a video, it serves as nap time. 

"I want you all to pay attention because tomorrow we will be taking a short quiz on what you learned" Ms. Jacobs added after noticing the look of relief that had covered the students' faces. A collective groan escaped the class, but Ms. Jacobs pushed her large glasses back up her face before turning off the lights.