Chapter 2

The dreaded Monday rolled around. I am getting ready for school when Katelyn, my best friend, texts me telling me to go online and turn on my webcam. After I’d finished changing my clothes for the fourth time that morning, I go to the computer and log in.

“Hey Sam! What are you going to wear?” Kate says excitedly.

I point to the jeans and the long-sleeve shirt. “I’m going to wear these plus a cardigan and some boots.”

Kate sighs. “I’m getting kind of tired of your long-sleeve shirts. It’s the only thing you wear these days or a jacket.”

I frow. “I like these shirts and besides it’s cold outside”

Kate groans and rolls her eyes. “Fine, I’ll see you at school.” As she logs off, Kyle yells, “Sam, hurry up. You’re going to be late.”

***

I can’t wait to get to school because I haven’t seen Brad, my boyfriend, the whole weekend. He’s been rejecting my calls and my texts. He’s been avoiding me and most of my friends have too, except for Kate. At least, I have someone I can count on. When I arrive to school, I start searching for Brad but I don’t see him anywhere. I decide to go to the bathroom to check my hair, hoping it hasn't been attacked by the humidity.

When I open the door, I hear some giggling but I keep walking towards the mirror. It's probably one of those couples that want to make out without the principal on their tails until I see those green fluorescent sneakers that only one person in this school has them. They are Brad’s sneakers. I grab the sink for support; I suddenly feel really sick.

Just then I hear Madison, one of my friends that’s been avoiding me say, “When are you going to dump her?”

“I’ll dump her after I sleep with her again. I want one last good f*ck before it's all over." I gasp very loudly.

The next thing I know, Brad comes out of the stall, wide eyed. “Sam, that’s not what I meant." He mumbles.

My eyes start to water. “Save it! Don’t ever talk to me again, you bastard.” I turn around and storm out of the bathroom. I try not to cry but, I fail. That’s all I can keep doing, besides running towards my secret place. It’s a hut, that’s on school grounds, but nobody goes there anymore. I go there to think, sleep and sometimes release my inner demons. I sit down and start to look for my pocket knife. When my hand closes around it, I feel like I can breathe. I roll up my sleeve and start to cut, each time putting more pressure until I feel almost numb. Blood is falling in streams down my wrist. I lean back against one of the columns and close my eyes.

Suddenly, I here leaves crunching, as if someone was walking towards me. I start to clean my wrist and roll down my sleeves.

***