ı 05 ı Fill me In

Start from the beginning

"Sorry," I mutter, forcing my head up. Joel turns back and raises a brow, knowing it's quite unusual for me to not be paying attention to my surroundings.

Never the less, Joel waves it off and instead turns to the two people who sit across from one another at the table. "James, I would like you to meet Logan and Christina. Logan and Christina, this is James my older brother who before you ask- yes, was recently deceased," Joel says a little too loudly, earning odd stares from the people around us.

"Could you have said that a little louder, Joel?" I scowl, not wanting anymore eyes on me. I just want to get this meeting over with and get back to Blair.

"Shit, sorry," Joel mutters with a wince, before sliding into the seat next to the blonde haired man, Logan. I glance over at the only other empty seat, realizing it's beside the woman, Christina. At first I fear sitting beside a human will only make things worse, but to my surprise her body doesn't give off the same vibe meaning only one thing.

"Are you a vampire?" I ask quietly as I slide into the seat next to her, not bother to care how blunt I sound.

She almost chokes on her coffee, using her napkin to dab the dribbles of hot liquid that managed to escape her mouth. "Yes...how did you know?" 

I shrug casually. "Old habits." 

"And how old are you exactly?" Logan asks with a menu placed in his hand.

To be honest I've lost count of the years and centuries seeing as time doesn't really influence a vampire. "Old enough to have known the Mikaelsons before they were the originals," I reply, earning a look of shock from Christina and Logan.

"Holy shit, you knew the originals when they were human?" Christina gasps, surprisingly intrigued.

"Hey! I'll have you know I knew them as humans too!" Joel says, suddenly feeling jealous.

"But I was born first," I snicker, giving my little brother a teasing wink. Joel only scowls and crosses his arms across his chest like he's a stubborn little two year old. Unfortunately, Joel is both of those things.

"Well," Logan speaks up, "how old are you really?" 

"Twenty." I crack a smile, as twenty is the one number I always manage to remember.

"Well James, you don't look at day over twenty." He laughs lightly, taking a sip of his coffee.

I find myself laughing along with him, familiarizing myself to the feeling of laughing again. It's a foreign feeling, but I know it shouldn't be. As Logan and Christina crack a smile, I realize I like them. It's odd for me to like new people, as usually I never really stayed in towns long enough to get to know anyone. Well, before I met Blair.

"So big brother, the man who fought death, the talking ghost himse-"

"Please stop," I say to Joel, dragging my hand down my face in annoyance. Usually I'm able to handle Joel's idiotic remarks and childish comments but today I'm not really feeling it. I guess you could say I'm still trying to get use to feeling anything at all after spending two years feeling nothing. For two years I wasn't able to touch, hold or grab anything that was in my path, and now I just want a relaxing environment. I should have known better that if I wanted a calm environment, I shouldn't have brought Joel along.

"I don't see how you two are brothers. Like seriously Joel, James is the complete opposite of you," Logan jokes, causing me to laugh again.

"Why thank you Logan, I'll take that as a compliment." I smirk.

"Yeah! You're so kind and charming and then there's Joel." Christina adds, laughing as she speaks.

"Hey, hey, hey!" Joel interrupts angrily, before we can make fun of him further. "We came here to meet one another, not torture me!"