“Was your father driving?”

            “No, Jason. Dad’s still in jail.”

            “Oh right. When do you see him again?”

            “Tomorrow at some new years eve thing.”

            “Callie, are you sure you’re okay? You can come home you know.”

            Honestly, all I wanted to do was agree to go home to my family. No, I was not feeling okay, but I could not leave yet.

            “I’m sorry. I really want to come home, but that would defeat the purpose of me coming here in the first place. “

            “Okay. Well I have to go. Call me soon, okay?”

            “Okay.”

            “Bye Sweetie.”

            “Bye Mom.”

             We hung up. The more I thought about it, the more I want to go home to San Francisco. I began packing up my things to try and get my mind off of my family. My clothes some how seemed to have collected a mixture of dirt and dust throughout the trip. Everything I picked up emitted a brownish grey fog, making me cough. When I glanced at the dresser top, I noticed a thick layer of grey over the wooden fixture. It reminded me of my grandparent’s house. They were too old to clean their house so everything had produced a layer of grey dust, similar to this dresser.

            “Time to eat!” Uncle Dave called from the kitchen. I dropped my clothes onto my black vinyl suitcase and headed into the kitchen. We all sat in the same seats as we had that first morning for breakfast. The table supported four dishes containing green beans, ham, sweet potatoes, and rolls. This was actually all of the food we had purchased prior to the wreck. After we all sat down, Uncle Dave pursued his normal routine: taking our hands, praying, and eating.  We ate in silence, mainly because none of us had anything to say. I tried to eat the potatoes on my plate, though I hate potatoes, but was too focused on trying to get warm. Over the last few days, the temperature had dropped about twenty degrees, making it thirty degrees outside. Uncle Dave’s heater was warn out, causing the house to be about sixty degrees. Though I wore my oversized, charcoal colored sweatshirt, I was still freezing. Uncle Dave reached for a second round of ham as I tried to finish my first. I did not feel like eating due to my nerves. I watched as Jason pushed the green beans Uncle Dave had insisted on him taking with his fork.

            “So I’m thinking that we will leave at about ten thirty so that if we stop for lunch we will make it to my sister’s by about five or so.”

            We both nodded. Apparently every year, our dad and Uncle Dave’s sister hosts this New Years Eve party for the whole family. Last year we did not have to go because we were staying with Jason’s mom. I was kind of surprised that Uncle Dave was going to drive five hours to this party. I have heard that my dad’s other brother and his sister are both married and have kids. The gathering usually consisted of the family and a few close family friends. Even though I have never met this woman, my dad’s mom, or my grandma, was going to be there. One time Jason told me that she is actually much happier now that her husband is dead. I find that a little depressing, but I did not bother to ask why.

            After we finished eating, Uncle Dave collected our dishes, and Jason and I headed back into the bedroom to finish what packing we could. When everything but our clothes and toothbrushes and what not that we would need tomorrow was packed, we went out the back door to take our last outdoor shower. I had actually successfully avoided taking a shower since the first night. The minute we stepped outside, goose bumps coated my body. When Jason turned on the water, I cringed at the thought of the cold water running down my body.