Chapter 11 - Party Fail

Start from the beginning

"Why so sad?" Liam's smooth voice pulled me from my wayward thoughts.

"Sorry," I muttered. "I was just lost in thought."

Liam's pale green eyes twinkled, and he ran his hand nervously through his wavy blonde hair.

"Would you like to dance?" he asked hesitantly.

I smiled at the boy. Considering I had to project my twelve year old persona, I knew I should accept his offer. To be honest, if I was seven or eight years younger, I would totally crush on a guy like Liam.

"Sure," I smiled.

Liam grabbed my hand and led me to the small dance floor in the middle of the banquet tables. Weaving between the people already dancing, Liam found an open area on the floor just as the song switched to a slow one. As Liam placed his hands on my hips, I slid my arms around his neck.

"So, you're visiting the Kellys?"

"Yeah. Just for a couple of days," I answered. Liam looked a little disappointed at that piece of information.

"Luca is taking me home, but we stopped here to see Rachel first." I glanced around the room, puzzled. "Speaking of Luca, I wonder where he and Rachel are. Bekah said everyone was coming."

Liam chuckled and pointed behind me. "I think the guests of honor are planning to 'make an entrance'," he replied mysteriously. I turned, only to freeze momentarily when I noticed the banner hanging above the entrance behind me. How had I missed it? Congratulations Luca and Rachel. I swallowed slowly when I realized that we were at their engagement party.

I caught Bekah's attention from across the room and pointed to the banner. I could tell the moment the words sunk into her brain, because her whole demeanor changed. Her jaw dropped and her eyes narrowed, but the sudden applause that filled the room broke the spell, and I saw her gaze drop to the couple entering the room.

They looked so perfect together. Luca was dressed in a fitted tuxedo. His dark curls were styled and more subdued than I'd seen them. They usually were messy, just begging to be touched. On his arm, Rachel looked radiant in a deep red gown that flowed to the ground. It had a deep, plunging neckline, exposing far too much cleavage for my taste. They looked gorgeous together.

I may have been imagining things, but Luca seemed to stiffen when they entered the room. Rachel whispered something in his ear, and he nodded and began to lead her to the dance floor. I stared at him, wondering what he was thinking at the moment. He didn't look as happy as a man in love should.

Liam saved me from my thoughts once again by grabbing my hand and turning me to him.

"Shall we?" he asked, a wicked smirk on his mouth as he bowed theatrically.

Chuckling, I nodded my head, and Liam led me back to our spot on the dance floor. He was a fabulous distraction. When the slow song ended and we heard a fast number begin, he winked at me and shifted our positions. He joked and teased, and I allowed myself to get lost in the music of the dance and the friendship of this teenage boy.

I felt the sudden heat of Liam at my back as he trailed his fingers down my arm. Before I could distance us, I felt the absence of his presence and turned to find Luca, gripping Liam's collar. Luca glared at the boy, his jaw ticking with anger.

"What do you think you're doing?" he hissed, and Liam visibly paled at the threat.

"D-d-dancing?" he answered, voice quivering.

"Luca, stop!" I yelled, finding my voice. Liam was harmless, and Luca should know that. He was just a young boy with a crush. Even if I truly was twelve years old, I wouldn't be in town long enough for Liam to do anything to me. Besides, Liam was a good kid. I could tell. "He wasn't doing anything!"

Luca's blazing eyes turned to me and his chest heaved as he took a deep breath. "Why would you let him put his hands on you?" he growled, and I flinched at the intensity of his gaze.

"We were just dancing," I retorted. "He wasn't doing anything."

Forgetting Liam, Luca let go of him and turned to me, grabbing my wrist firmly. "It is my JOB to keep you safe until you get home!" he yelled. "That includes keeping you away from punks with dirty minds."

My stomach sank at the reminder that to Luca, I was only a job - a responsibility. I yanked my hand from his grasp and stood on tiptoe, as he towered over me.

"I can take care of myself!" I shouted, and turned to hurry out of the ballroom. Glancing back, I saw Luca still fuming with anger in the middle of the dance floor. As I turned toward the exit once more, a small gasp escaped my throat. Mere feet away from me stood Rachel, oblivious to the mayhem on the dance floor. But what sent my heart racing was the girl standing next to Rachel. Her dark hair and deep tan were enough to trigger my memory, but Michael's sister was a huge fan of plastic surgery, and her fake breasts and nose confirmed it. I would never forget Courtney Johnson. 

I didn't think she had seen me, but I didn't want to risk her blowing my cover to Michael. Running from the room at top speed, I slipped into the nearest restroom I could find and locked myself in one of the stalls. I climbed onto the toilet, sitting atop the tank with my back against the wall. Only then did I notice that I was shaking. Visions of Michael's face as he murdered Lou in cold blood danced through my mind on repeat. I felt like I had cried more in the last forty-eight hours than in the last ten years of my life, but I couldn't keep myself from losing my composure once more. The sooner I got home the better. Until I was safe at my parents' farm, I couldn't be certain that Michael's goons wouldn't find me. I didn't want to die, and it was with that thought that I completely crumbled, sobbing alone in the women's restroom.