13. Cabin in the Woods

Start from the beginning

"That's not true," Nura states, her back straightening. "The stories say the White Dragon isn't evil, but that he's living a cursed existence."

"Nura," Aurmir growls and jostles her, bringing her back to her senses and reminding her of the lunacy of what they're talking about. "You're not hearing me. The legend is very different from the stories that Humans tell. The White Dragon is a warrior and a killer of Humans. That man out there is not your ally."

Nura grits her teeth and shoves Aurmir's hands off her. "That man out there is nothing but a man. I haven't even seen him display any Ice Elf powers." She crosses her arms over her chest with a deep frown on her face, cutting into him with her glare. "All Talon's done in my company is pray to the Spirits and be generally grumpy about having to babysit me."

"Nura," he begins again but she shakes her head.

"No, I'm hearing no more of this. He'll be out of your hair soon enough anyway. You're fretting over nothing." She turns her back on him and marches back out the door.

They sit around the dining table in a tense silence that Nura attempts to ignore

They sit around the dining table in a tense silence that Nura attempts to ignore. Aurmir serves them a thick broth while still keeping one watchful eye on Talon, like he expects the silent man to set fire to the cottage. Talon ignores him, opting to scribble in his book with a crease between his brows.

Nura eats her broth and studies the way Aurmir keeps the knife to cut the bread beside his bowl.

"So, Aurmir," Nura starts, trying to break the tension before Aurmir snaps. "Where's your cousin?"

Aurmir looks at her and blinks, taking far too long to absorb the fact that she spoke to him. Then he clears his throat and comes back to himself. "My cousin and his etnevu have travelled to Giem to celebrate Harvest."

That word again; etnevu. It's an Elven word and Nura can't remember what it means.

Aurmir wipes his mouth with a napkin, his gaze darting to the silent Talon before settling back on Nura to continue speaking, not giving her time to mull on the word. "They should be on their way back soon. Once they've arrived, I know they'll be able to help you find a place of you own to stay safe until the trouble has passed."

Nura reaches across the table and places her hand on his. "Thank you, Aurmir, I appreciate everything you and your family are doing for me."

Aurmir smiles at her but his expression changes again and he looks away from her. "You still haven't told me what happened to Rephas."

Nura sucks in a breath and draws back to herself, still unsure what she's meant to say. She doesn't have the answers, and she's no closer to getting any than she was when he first disappeared. "He was... taken. By whom, I have no idea."

Aurmir's eyes widen. "What do you mean?"

"Rephas was keeping secrets, Aurmir. I always knew it, but I didn't think..." Her hands twist in the napkin in her lap as she glares at it. "I didn't think and now he's been kidnapped."

"Does this have anything to do with the large group of Sworn Elves I saw passing across the border hardly a day or two ago?"

Nura gapes and she stares at him.

Talon's pencil clatters to the ground.

"Sworn Elves?" Nura whispers.

"Yes, I thought it strange for so many Elves to be in the Human lands all at once. But now thinking back on it, it seems even stranger with how heavily armed they were. It could be a violation of the treaty."

Talon picks up his pencil and hums, drawing their attention. "Probably just a delegation from Kepfew here to talk to the High Council."

"I don't..." Nura bites her tongue the moment she begins to argue as Talon regards her.

She knows this is something, and he knows it too. But if he believes she's going to follow this lead then he'll try to stop her. Nura can't fight him. Even though he hasn't displayed any inkling of his powers, she's still aware that he could be dangerous.

"I think I'm finished." Nura stands, her knees unsteady, but she refuses to allow herself to buckle. This is the most she's been given since she first lost him. And only a day or two ago. She's so close, she can't possibly sit idle now. "I'm going to go to bed."

"Let me help you get some bedding," Aurmir says and jumps to his feet, looking between Nura and Talon as the Ice Elf sits back with his jaw clenched.

"I'll see you in the morning, Talon," Nura murmurs and waits for his reaction, waits for him to perhaps chain her to a post or freeze her feet to the ground.

Instead, Talon stands, sweeps up the cloak Nura had been using and clasps it at his throat. "I'm going out on watch," he says, his voice so quiet that it's nearly lost under the fabric of his hood as he pulls it up. "There could still be Witch Hunters following our trail." With that, he leaves into the falling snow where the land is dark and quiet.

"You're planning to go after Rephas, aren't you?" Aurmir speaks from beside her and Nura lifts her chin.

"If I keep heading north, I may be able to catch up with the Sworn Elves. I'm certain Rephas is with them."

"Then what, Nura? You'll fight a group of trained Elves by yourself? Sworn Elves, no less."

Nura's turns on him and her fists clench. "You're part Sworn Elf and I'm sure I can take you."

"I can't wield fire like they can," he scolds. "I'm not immortal, remember?"

The reminder does nothing to settle Nura's nerves. But she doesn't have a choice. Between staying safe within this cabin and leaving Rephas to an unknown fate, there isn't a choice. If it was her that was taken, Rephas wouldn't hesitate. He would travel to the Abyss itself to get her back, damn the consequences.

"If you think I would abandon Rephas, then you don't know me very well at all." She stalks past him and slams the door to the room he's given her. It hurts her to be cruel to him, her chest clenches with it, but this isn't something he would understand.

This is a journey she must take.

Nura moves to the closet and throws the doors open to find piles of clothes within, belonging to those that live here. She grabs a bag and begins packing, feeling no remorse. She won't get the chance to meet these people anyway. Nura will be long gone before they get back to this cabin.

Tonight, she moves. Tonight, she leaves behind Talon and the last falsehoods of naivete she'd allowed herself to fall into. She will get Rephas back and she's done waiting for the solution to come to her.

 She will get Rephas back and she's done waiting for the solution to come to her