13. Cabin in the Woods

They cross the border into the Elven lands as the first flecks of snow begin to stick to Nura's hair, floating through the trees. She's eager to leave these forests behind, their darkness has a way of playing tricks with her mind.

She's glad to have left Fort Dunmyr in their wake but can only hope they never encounter Tiran again. Nura doesn't want to think too much on the accusations he hurled at them, but it nags at the back of her mind like a persistent bug.

So many of her questions from that time were left unanswered. Her father's body was never recovered, and though the war ended just a year later, the Elves still gave them no information about the supposed massacre that ensued in Bielfrit. The Dark King never told them why reinforcements weren't sent, and her father's grave in Hold Tiore remains empty.

Nura shakes her head, dislodging snow from her locks. She has Rephas to worry about, not rumours from seven years ago.

Nura is shocked at first to see the cottage in the woods, smoke blooming from its chimney, the porch illuminated by the glow of lanterns as dusk begins to darken the forest. Then she sees movement as the door opens and a familiar face emerges. Nura gasps and leaps down from her horse to run to Aurmir and embrace him. He wraps his arms around her, the familiar smell of herbs surrounding her like a comforting blanket.

"You're alive," she whispers and pulls back, tears wetting her cheeks as Aurmir brushes her hair behind her ears. "I saw your shop burning and I feared the worst."

"I got out before it happened," he tells her, his painted blue lips lifting in a smile as his eyes sparkle. "It's good to see you, my white bird."

Nura buries her face in his neck again, just happy to see a familiar face amongst this unfamiliar land. But something gnaws at her and refuses to let go. Being here means her journey is over. This is where she and Talon part ways and where her hunt for Rephas ends.

She won't accept that.

Aurmir takes her inside the warmth of his cousin's home. "I didn't know if you would make it," he says, clasping her hand in his.

"I wouldn't have if I didn't have help," she admits and turns as Talon enters the cabin, his light eyes observing the place. Nura smiles up at Aurmir but the expression on his face halts her smile. His eyes are wide and lips parted, the horror that shines within the black of his gaze tying knots in Nura's stomach. "Aurmir?"

His eyes jump back to her and his throat bobs as he swallows. "I'm sorry, I thought that Rephas would be with you."

Nura's heart cracks in her chest with such words and her hands slip from his. "I..." She wants to tell him everything, perhaps he can help her understand the things that are going on. He's always stood by her side, one of her own, her friend in a mad world. But the words don't get past her lips, stuck in the dryness of her throat.

"You must be exhausted," Aurmir says, interrupting her turmoil and grabbing her hand again to tug her through the cottage. "Let's get your bed organised so you can have an early night."

"Aurmir," she breathes as they slip down the hall and into a room, away from the watchful gaze of Talon.

Aurmir whirls on her once they're alone, the shadows that sink into his features making Nura inch back. "Who in the Abyss is that?" he hisses and she looks to the closed door behind her.

"Talon helped me escape the village and cross the border. He's—"

"Nura," Aurmir interrupts and steps froward to grip her shoulders, drawing her gaze back to his frightened eyes. "You know my cousin fought for the Elves in the Abyssal war, that he rarely speaks of the horrors he saw. But there's one story he made sure to tell me about, to warn me of." Aurmir leans down, putting them face to face as Nura's hands begin to tremble. "The White Dragon is very real and he's just as ruthless and evil as the stories say."