Chapter 14: Exploring Her House

Start from the beginning

“Can I help you?” Tomomi heard the soft voice ask. She looked up at the older woman now standing in front of her, the woman’s body slightly leaning on the door. Right away, Tomomi could see the resemblance between this woman and Mami. The way the woman’s long black hair fell around her face, framing the similar facial features that reminded Tomomi so much of Mami.

“I have some assignments for Mami from the teacher,” Tomomi said after a brief silence. The brunette could see the stunned look cross the woman’s face.

“That’s surprising; Mami usually doesn’t get any visitors.” Tomomi was a little surprised by the woman’s words. She had been sure that the other girls would visit Mami’s house from time to time but based off of her words, Tomomi wondered if she was wrong about that. “Mami is in her room, why don’t you come in and I’ll show you where that is?”

“That would be nice, thank you,” Tomomi replied politely, bowing quickly to the woman. The woman gave her a smile before stepping aside, letting the brunette into the house. Tomomi stepped in slowly, stepping off to the side and turning back to the older woman behind her.

“Come with me,” the woman said. She walked past Tomomi, motioning for the teenager to follow her. Seeing as she didn’t really have another option, Tomomi followed who she figured was Mami’s mother down the hallway.

Tomomi could feel the dreary and strange atmosphere of the house as she was led throughout it. The outside had looked quite normal but now that she was inside… There was something off about it. The brunette couldn’t pinpoint what was causing her to feel that sort of atmosphere in the house, the only thing she really knew was that it was there and she couldn’t shake it. Even with the friendly behavior of Mami’s mother, Tomomi couldn’t get rid of the feeling that was bearing down on her.

“This is her room,” the woman said, snapping Tomomi out of her thoughts. Tomomi looked in between the sweetly smiling woman and the door before giving her another nod.

“Thank you,” Tomomi said softly. The woman gave her another smile before making her way back in the direction they came from, leaving Tomomi alone to confront Mami.

Tomomi let out a shaky stream of breath as she took a few small steps towards the door. She continued to remind herself not to be scared, repeating it in her head like a mantra. This was Mami. While Mami may have been scary before, she wasn’t scary now. Mami wouldn’t hurt her; she had to keep reminding herself of that. Tomomi was just being silly with all these negative thoughts.

The brunette laid her hand down on the cold doorknob, twisting slowly and pushing open the bedroom door. She poked her head inside, her eyes scanning the room as a soft melody floated into her ears. Her eyes soon laid on Mami, the blonde girl sitting cross-legged on the bed with a guitar balanced on her lap. Her head was tilted downwards, her bright blonde locks falling down her shoulders and settling just in front of the guitar she held.

Tomomi’s breath hitched in her throat, her eyes widening as her grip on the doorknob tightened. Mami looked so beautiful right now. Tomomi didn’t really want to disturb her, but she really had no other options. It’s not like she could just stand here and secretly watch her.

“Mami,” Tomomi called the girl’s name. Mami didn’t budge, Tomomi figuring that the blonde had just not heard her. Letting out a soft sigh and clearing her throat, Tomomi spoke her name a bit louder, this time getting her attention.

Mami’s head snapped up when she heard her name, her eyes widening when she saw the familiar brunette standing in the doorway. She reacted quickly, jumping off the bed and leaning her guitar up against it. What on earth was she doing here? How did she even find her house? This was about the last thing Mami wanted Tomomi seeing at the moment.