32 - Back to School

Start from the beginning

            “Peyton!” Mrs. Gallagher yelled triumphantly. “It’s great to see that you’re back!” Her face turned grim. “I heard about the… incident.”

            I slightly shuttered and I knew that it hadn’t gone unnoticed. Jace put his hand on my shoulder and Dillon hopped up in his seat, waving us over. Gratefully, Gallagher took the hint and called all the students to do what the prompt on the board said. Just looking at it, I knew that I missed so much and it’s going to be hard to catch up.

            “Hey, Peyton,” I looked up from my notebook where I was definitely struggling over this problem and into the eyes of my ex boyfriend who decided to take a seat to my right and Jace on my left. Huh. Here I am with the two guys on either side of me who have hurt me the most in life.

            “Sean.”

            “How’re you feeling?”

            “Just fine?”

            “Yes.”

            Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the most awkward conversation of the year.

            All tries of talking to me ended when Gallagher actually started the class. I probably looked like an idiot with my wide eyes because I couldn’t understand anything that was going on. Around halfway through the class when we had a work time, Jace nudged me and I looked up into his light eyes.

            “Hey, since you don’t understand anything—“

            I turned red and interrupted him, “I d-do!”

            He just raised an eyebrow so I slouched in defeat, which told him that he was right. “I’ll tutor you after soccer practice. I would have Dillon do it but I’m pretty sure that he needs help as well.”

            The two of us looked over at where Dillon was chewing on the eraser of his pencil. He realized what he was doing and spit it out all over the girl in front of him. She shrieked, turned around, and started yelling at him while my brother tried to clean his mouth out. Jace and I snickered before I turned back to him.

            “Okay, but as long as I can do something to repay you—“

            “No, from what I’ve done to you, this is completely free of any charge.”

            The glint in my eye told me that he was serious. Was he still Kayla’s little bitch? By the look in his eyes, I would say no. I sighed, ready to give into Jace’s offer. Besides, what other choice did I have? My ex-boyfriend? Definitely not. My brother who was choking on bits of his eraser? Don’t think so.

            “Okay but we’re just studying.”

            “I didn’t think it would be anything else,” He answered with a smile on his face. He looked like he was about to add more but our teacher shushed us and continued on with the lesson.

            After that class, Dillon helped me to my next and until lunch, everything went smoothly. I had to wheel myself down there, which was pretty painful, but I also liked being in control of myself. Around halfway there, Jace caught up to me and took over.

            “So how is everything right now?”

            I shrugged, “It’s school. Boring but completely necessary.”

            “No, Peyton. What I meant was how are the people being to you?”

            I blinked and thought about all the whispers and looks I’ve gotten today. “They’re all being okay.”