E X T R A four: stars

[FLASHBACK]

Ten years ago:
8 year old Athena and Clarke

"Athena! Athena!" a high pitched voice rang behind me.

I set my paint brush down and turned around quickly as soon as I recognized the voice. I was met curly, blonde hair and the brightest smile I had ever seen.

"Clarke! Where have you been?" I answered.

Ignoring my question, Clarke smiled even bigger and grabbed my hand. She pulled me back the way she first came and into the empty metal hallways of the Ark. She led me down a series of corridors and rooms. We even went into some areas I had never knew existed before.

Clarke began to slow her pace as we neared a large metal door. She let go of my hand and then finally turned to face me.

"My dad showed me this place and I wanted to show you," she flashed a smile and then pulled out a long piece of metal from the handle to the door that kept it locked.

She pulled the giant door open with such ease that I believed that she was Wonder Woman from the comic books my dad gave me. She poked her head in the door frame to make sure no one was inside. She turned towards me and grabbed my hand once again, this time leading me into a large room. 

On the walls were maps and pictures of what I assumed used to be earth before the war. The tables against the walls were cluttered with newspaper clippings, books and other papers. 

Clarke continued to pull me into the room. She stopped in the center and then proceeded to lay down on the floor. Without saying a word, she patted the cold floor next to her and then stared at the ceiling. I followed her command and lay on the floor next to her.

My feet faced South as hers faced North but our messes of curly blonde and brunette hair were intertwined.

On the ceiling of the room was a large window. Outside of the window was the earth. The earth looked almost as bright as the sun compared to the darkness surrounding it. Dark patches of green were surrounded by a light blue which was surrounded by a deep black. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

"Do you ever wonder what it's like on earth? Do you think people survived after the war?" Clarke asked, breaking the silence.

I inahled and exhaled deeply, pondering the question. "It's just as beautiful down there as it is from up here. I don't know if people survived but if we did then maybe others did too."

"Well, maybe one day we'll get to visit," Clarke agreed.

I perked up at her response. I sat straight up and looked her in the eyes.

"We might go soon! I heard my dad talking to my mom about how the Ark will die soon and we might have to go down to earth!" I exclaimed excitedly.

Clarke sat straight up before I even finished my sentence and her radiant smile grew on her face once more.

"I hope we can-" Clarke was interrupted by the sound of the metal door creaking open.

"Clarke! There you are!" a deep voice greeted.

"Athena Rose! Your mom and I have been looking for you everywhere!" said another deep voice.

I turned to look at the direction the voices came from and was greeted by Clarke's dad's bright smile and my dad's stern look. Clarke ran to her dad and jumped into his arms and he swung her around. I walked slowly towards my dad, fearing my punishment. Instead, I was greeted with a tight hug and bright eyes. My dad whisked me up and carried me back to my room while Clarke and her dad went to theirs.

Little did I know that that conversation would one of the last happy conversations I would have with Clarke.