T H I R T Y - T W O: surfing

The plan was simple: All gunners were to surround those who did not have a weapon. We would switch off every few hours of the 120-mile hike until we reached the ocean.

We headed out immediately. Raven was in the center laying on the stretcher with Finn at her side. Octavia led the way and I stayed towards the center. I looked around at the tired, worried faces around me but none resembled Bellamy's. I was disappointed but I expected him to back out.

I slowly managed to get in the front and walked side-by-side with Miller. "You know what the first thing I'm going to do when we get to beach?"

"No. What?" I asked, intrigued.

"I want to go surfing," Miller answered.

I laughed. "I think I would probably take a nice, long swim-"

"Shh. Quiet. Keep your eyes open," Jasper interrupted.

I whispered a quick apology before we were stopped by Octavia.

"What's up, Octavia?" I asked as I stood by her.

She held a finger to her lips as a sign to tell me to be quiet and I obeyed. I looked around at the dark green forest for any sign of movement. Nothing caught my eye until a large silver object flew by head and struck a boy behind me. I turned around and a sharp piece of metal stuck out of his face, right between his eyes.

"Grounders!" Jasper yelled.

"Turn back to camp! Go, go, go!" I ordered.

I waited for everyone to start heading back before I began running. As I ran, I looked at my surroundings and noticed black silhouettes jumping from trees and running towards the terrified teens. I was so worried about the safety of the delinquents that I didn't notice the large stump in front of me. I tripped over it and landed face first into the soft ground below. I saw one of the black silhouettes running towards me and with not a lot of time to get up, I prepared my gun.

However, before I could shoot, I recognized the signature black leather jacket and the mop of curly brown hair belonging to none other than Bellamy Blake. He picked me up, inspected me for a split second and then grabbed my wrist and ran like hell.

We made it into the gates just as they were about to be closed. Teenagers were screaming and running around trying to find weapons or hide. Bellamy and I stopped running once we reached the center of the camp and we were joined by Clarke and Finn.

"Where are they? Why aren't they attacking?" Bellamy asked as his hand slid from my wrist and into my hand and he held it tightly.

"Because we're doing exactly what they want," Clarke suggested.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"When we were kidnapped, we saw Lincoln. He said that they would send scouts first," she clarified.

Octavia was nearby and overheard our conversation. "If it's just scouts then we can fight back. That's what Lincoln would do."

"We're done doing what that Grounder would do. We tried that and now Drew is dead. You wanna be next?" Bellamy asked angrily.

"I agree with Octavia. For all we know, there's only one scout out there," Finn added.

"Come on, Athena. We can still do this," Octavia encouraged.

Bellamy squeezed my hand. "Looking to you, Princess. What's it going to be? Stand and fight back or run out in the open and get picked off?"

I sighed and thought for a second. "You guys are saying scouts, meaning more than one. The scouts are obviously very hostile so," I slipped my hand out of Bellamy's and cocked my gun, "If it's a war they want, it's a war they'll get."

"All right, then," Bellamy said as he turned toward the crowd that had gathered in front of us. "This is what we have been preparing for. Kill them before they kill us. Gunners to your posts. Use the tunnels to get in and out because from now on, the gate stays closed."

As soon as Bellamy finished his speech, the teens scattered. Everyone started to work together to make sure the guns were loaded, the grenades were ready to be used and everyone was in the correct position.

I ran around making sure everything and everyone was in place and then went to check on Raven in the dropship. Clarke was already there, tending to the wound she received from Murphy.

I lifted up the shirt and a dark blue and purple bruise had formed around the area. I sighed when I realized it was infected.

"How are you feeling, Raven?" I asked her.

"Like a million bucks," she replied sarcastically. "I'm just glad he shot me instead of the rocket fuel. We would have all been up in flames."

"Wait, that's it! The rocket fuel!" I shouted excitedly.

"I don't follow. We don't have any more gunpow-" Raven started.

"No, no, we don't need a bomb. We need to blast off," I explained.

Raven's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. I could see the gears turning in her pretty little head and I knew she already had a plan.

I smiled at her. "I'll leave you to it, Raven. If you need some help, call me on this," I handed her one of the few walkie talkies she made.

I left the dropship and let Raven work her magic with the help of Clarke.

I headed back to my tent and picked up one of the several pink flowers I collected for my signal for Janus and shoved it in my pocket. I headed towards my position by the front gate and set my gun up through the slits we carved in the gate.