T W E N T Y: mother

I watched Bellamy as he disappeared behind the blanket he hung up for target practice. I heard his boots clank heavily on the steps that led to the first level of the depot and then it was silent. I sighed and grabbed my bag, emptying its contents on the floor. I sat with a loud thud and began opening the packages of nuts and berries and ate them. After about eating ten packs, I began to feel dizzy and my vision went out of focus as I rocked back and forth.

The room I was in felt bigger than it was before. I dropped the packet of nuts that was in my hand and it seemed to bounce up and down; almost touching my face as it did. Terrified of what was happening, I quickly jumped up but being completely out of my mind, I ended up turned away from the exit. When I turned back around, I wasn't in the depot anymore. I was in the Ark, in the room my family and I shared.

I walked towards a picture my brother and I drew when we were kids and gently touched it. The rough paper and sticky crayon residue felt real.

"Athena," a deep voice boomed behind me.

I jumped as I turned around and came face-to-face with a familiar pair of hazel eyes. "Dad," I gasped as I ran to him and hugged him.

My dad also felt very real. His large arms wrapped themselves around my shoulders as my arms enveloped his torso.

I stepped back and looked up at him. "You're not real, huh?"

He shook his head no. "I'm sorry."

"Then, how is this happening?" I asked him.

He shrugged his shoulders and for once in my life, I realized he did not have an answer to my questions. I hugged him again and shut my eyes to try to remember his face. It had been five years since I last saw my dad. The last memory I had of him was when he was floated with Clarke's dad.

When I opened my eyes, my dad was gone but I was still in the Ark. "Dad? Dad! Please, come back!" I began panicking and looking around the small room for my dad.

"Athena," a small voice chirped behind me.

I turned around and my mother stood before me with a devilish smirk on her face and a bloody knife in her hand. Her white T-shirt was at first clean with no evidence of any stains but then, slowly, blood soiled it, turning the shirt a dark red.

"Mother," I said, stepping back until I hit the wall behind me.

"How have you been, Athena?" my mother asked.

"F-fine," I stuttered.

"Be honest, Athena. You know I don't tolerate liars," my mother demanded.

I sighed but the feelings came like an avalanche and I began crying. "It's been bad, Ma. It's been so bad. I haven't seen my brother. Abby was the one that killed Pa. And I-I killed you. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do it. I just-"

My mother interrupted me by enveloping me in a hug. I was shocked because my mother never touched me besides when she would beat me. She stroked my hair and then I hugged her back. I finally felt safe and at peace in her presence.

"I'm so sorry, Athena. I never meant to hurt you or your brother," she cooed.

"It's okay. It's okay," I managed to get out in between breaths.

She laughed. "You made this too easy, you crazy bitch," I didn't have time to react before she plunged her knife into my stomach.

I looked at her and down at the wound which had already started to bleed. When I looked back up, I expected to see my mother but instead I was met with Dax who held a bloody knife. I immediately realized that I was back in the depot and that the wound in my stomach was very real. I immediately placed my hands on top of the bleed to create pressure. I dropped to my knees and rolled onto my back because of the intense pain and I heard Dax's footsteps recede away from me. The sound of the blanket flapping and his footsteps on the stairs prompted me to get up. I remembered Bellamy had gone outside so my brain finally registered that Dax had either killed him or is killing him.

I got up as fast as possible. I tore down the blanket that Bellamy and I used as a target and ripped a long piece off along with several other small squares. I placed the small squares on the bleed and then tied the long piece around them and my torso, securing them in place. I then grabbed one of the rifles and quietly climbed up the stairs and out of the depot.

Once outside, I saw Dax standing over Bellamy with a gun pointed at his head. I snuck up behind Dax and loaded my gun.

I aimed the gun at his shoulder so that I would injure him, not kill him. "Put the gun down, Dax. Slowly."

"Damn it, Athena," Dax said as he turned around, "I tried not to kill you but here you are. Shumway said no witnesses."

"Tried not to kill me?" I said as I pointed to my wound but still held the gun at Dax, "So, you have one of two choices: put the gun down and we'll forget about all of this or I will shoot your fucking brains out. Your choice."

"How about you walk away now or I will kill you," Dax retorted.

"Put the gun down, Dax," I warned.

Dax continued to hold the gun aimed at me. I sighed and aimed the gun at his shoulder and pulled the trigger. Dax let out a groan of pain as he continued to aim his gun at me. Realizing that he wasn't about to give up without a fight, I ran behind a tree as bullets whizzed by. As I tried to reload my gun behind the tree, I heard a loud thud and assumed Dax turned his attention to Bellamy. When I finally got the next bullet in and emerged from behind the tree, Dax was sitting on top of Bellamy, beating him with his gun. I carefully snuck up behind him and placed the barrel of the gun at his head.

"Get the fuck off of him, asshole," I sneered.

Dax stopped hitting Bellamy and slowly got up. When he stood up straight, he turned around and grabbed the barrel of the gun and tried to pull it away from me. Fearing for mine and Bellamy's lives, I pulled the trigger and Dax froze and looked at his chest. Immediately, blood began to pour from the bullet wound and Dax fell to ground, motionless.

I ran to Bellamy and brought him into a hug. "You're okay. We're okay."