T W E N T Y - O N E: miracles

"You're okay. We're okay, Bellamy," I kept repeating as I hugged Bellamy.

"N-No, I'm not," he gasped as he backed away from me, "My mother... If she knew what I had done... Who I am-- She raised me to be good and all I do is hurt people."

"No, Bellamy. That is not true. You came down here to protect your sister and that is what you did. You're the leader of everyone back at camp and they think-- They know they are safe when you are around. You saved my life today because I know damn well Dax would have killed me if you hadn't distracted him," I smiled as I crawled to a nearby tree and propped myself up against it with Bellamy following my lead, "You know, you're a complete asshole about 100 percent of the time but everyone needs you. I need you, Bellamy Blake."

Behind his bloodied face, Bellamy wore a look of sadness mixed hope. "I-I don't now if I can be there for everyone, Athena. I-I feel like I'll fail."

"Then, we'll fail together if that should happen. We're in this together, Bellamy. Please come back with me and talk to Jaha."

"He'll kill me when he comes down."

"Then, we'll figure something out. I will make sure he forgives you."

Bellamy sighed heavily. "Can we figure it out later?"

I patted his hand and rested my head on his shoulder. "Whenever you're ready. But, we should probably get back to camp soon. We have to bring back the supplies and get treated for these injuries," I groaned as I got up and my stab wound stung like a motherfucker.

We both headed back into the depot and rounded up as much supplies as we could carry and began our long trek back.

***

When we reached the camp, we heard Miller announce that the Grounder had escaped. The delinquents began to freak out and shout that the Grounders will be back. At that moment, Bellamy and I pushed our way through the crowd towards the middle.

"I say let the Grounders come. We've been afraid of them since the minute we touched this soil and why? Because of their weapons; their knives and spears. But, I don't know about you but I'm tired of being afraid," Bellamy announced and then dropped the sack of guns onto floor for all to see.

"Listen up. These are weapons, not toys. Only a few of you will actually get to touch one. When the Guard comes, we must give them up but until then, they'll keep us safe," I added.

"There are plenty more where these came from. Training begins tomorrow and we'll be ready to fight if the Grounders come," Bellamy concluded.

I grabbed Clarke and Bellamy and led them both to the dropship so that my and Bellamy's wounds could be cared for. Luckily for both of us, our injuries only required a few stitches. When Clarke finished her job, she left the drop ship and Bellamy and I were alone.

"So, are you ready to talk to him?" I asked.

Bellamy sighed and looked at the floor. "Yeah. Yeah, I am."

"Okay, great. He's waiting for us," I announced and Bellamy froze from shock, "Don't worry, Blake. I'll be right there with you."

I grabbed his hand and led him to the screen where Jaha's face appeared. "Mr. Blake. I've wanted to talk to you for some time now."

"Chancellor Jaha, before you begin, may I say something?" I asked and Chancellor Jaha nodded in response, "You sent kids as young as twelve years old down here to die but we have miraculously survived acid fog, poisoning, getting speared through the chest, and we owe it all to Bellamy. We owe our survival to Bellamy and that makes him one of us and he deserves to be pardoned for his crimes like the rest of us."

"I appreciate your point of view, Athena, but it's not that simple," Jaha responded.

"It is if you want to know who in the Ark wants you dead," Bellamy defended.

Jaha had a slight look of shock on his face after what Bellamy said. For a second he looked angry and Bellamy and I shared a look of worry.

After a few seconds of pondering his next move, Jaha came to a conclusion. "Bellamy Blake, you're pardoned for your crimes," Bellamy and I smiled at each other before returning back to seriousness, "Now, tell me who gave you the gun."

"He's a Guard and his name is Shumway. He had also instructed a boy named Dax to kill Bellamy. However, I killed him before he could finish his task. If you want to punish me for killing him, I will take it," I informed.

"No, there will be no punishment. You acted on self-defense. Thank you Athena and Bellamy," the Chancellor said.

I held back from yelling at the Chancellor. When I murdered my mother, they didn't believe that she had beat me even when I showed them the bruises and told them to look at my medical history of broken bones and concussions.

I held back because I have now forgiven myself for what I did. Although it was only a hallucination, my mother forgives me too.

I can now live in peace with my past but I still remain anxious about my future.