T W O: attacked

As the excitement settled down, reality set in. Finn and I joined Clarke and Wells as they looked at a map.

"Woah, guys. Relax. We just landed. Go and smell the roses or something," I laughed.

"How about you tell that to the two boys that died because off you two?" Clarke responded.

Finn and I looked at each other shamefully. Before the silence got too awkward, a boy with goggles slid up next to me.

"Hey, they got a bar in this town? I'll buy you a beer," he said confidently.

Finn and I broke into a fit of laughter. Wells walked over to the boy and pushed him back.

"Do you mind?" Wells threatened the boy.

Another boy approached us, "Hey, hands off him. He's with us."

"Relax. We're trying to figure out where we are," Wells replied defensively.

"We're on The Ground. Isn't that good enough for you?" Bellamy intervened.

"Well didn't your boss, Chancellor Jaha, say that we need supplies? By the way, why did they only send one guard down here?" I questioned.

"Look, Princess," he spat. "The moment my boots touched this soil, I stopped following his orders."

"No, you look. If we don't go to Mount Weather, the hungrier we will be and the harder this will be. How long do you think we'll last without those supplies? It's about a twenty mile trek. If we start now, we'll be there before dark," Clarke stated.

"Here's a better idea: you three go and get us the supplies. Let the privileged do the work for a change," Bellamy smirked.

"How are three people going to carry supplies for one hundred people during a twenty mile trek?" I asked.

"She's right. We all need to go," Wells agreed.

"Wow, look, everybody. The Chancellor of the Earth!" a boy with bright blue eyes said sarcastically.

The boys began to fight when I realized that Finn had disappeared. The fight escalated quickly and Wells was soon on the floor with only one good leg.

Before the boy finished off Wells, Finn leapt from the top of the drop ship and landed in between the two. I wasn't close enough to hear what Finn said but whatever he said stopped the fight.

Finn, Clarke and I surrounded Wells.

"So, when do we leave for Mount Weather?" I asked.

"Right now," Clarke responded.

"How are the three of you going to carry enough supplies for one hundred people?" Wells asked.

Finn grabbed the boy with goggles from earlier and an Asian boy, "Five of us. Let's go."

As we were about to leave, Octavia walked up, "Sounds like a party. Make it six."

I walked away when her brother approached and Finn followed. We began the twenty mile trek to Mount Weather and the others soon caught up.

***

The trek wasn't hard. The boys every now and then made conversation as Clarke led the way.

"Clarke, slow down a bit. Enjoy the scenery. This was our dream when we were kids, remember? Or did you lose your childhood when you turned our dads in?" I asked.

She glared at me. "You know, I've been wondering why haven't we seen any animals? Maybe there are none. And maybe we have been exposed to enough radiation to kill us." She took a deep breath and looked around. "But this is exactly how I pictured Earth. Now, come on."

We trekked a little farther and soon reached a little clearing. A deer with toffee colored fur stood in the middle, eating grass. I started to inch up closer but I stepped on a twig that snapped loudly in half. The deer perked its head up and looked our way. An extra head was extruding from its normal head. It stared at us for a few seconds before sprinting off.

***

We reached a river and I immediately ripped off my clothes. Octavia did the same and we held hands, as we jumped into the river.

When we resurfaced, the boy with the goggles seemed worried, "I can't swim."

I giggled and stood on the bottom of the river, "Then it's a good thing we can stand."

We waited for the boys and Clarke to jump into the river. The water was cold but inviting against my warm skin. I was glad that we could stand on the bottom since I didn't know how to swim either.

"Girls... Get out of the water," the boy with the goggles warned.

I followed his gaze to the water behind us. A large wave was heading towards us. I quickly helped Octavia out but before I could get out, I felt teeth latch onto my thigh and drag me under water. Water quickly filled my nostrils and lungs. The thing continued to drag me under water and just before I was about to black out, it resurfaced. I let out a small scream and then held my breath as I was pulled underneath again. I tried to punch and kick the monster. Nothing worked.

I started to give up when suddenly, it let go. I quickly resurfaced and the boy with goggles jumped in after me. He pulled me to shore before the monster came back.

"Thank you. Thank you for saving my life," I said breathlessly as I hugged him. "But I thought you couldn't swim."

He laughed, "I thought I couldn't either."

I hugged him again, relieved that we were both alive with minor injuries. We all quickly dried off before trying to figure out a way to cross the river.

Finn climbed up next to a tree and grabbed a vine, "How about we swing across?"

"How about we sleep on that idea? It's almost night," I laughed.

We headed back into the forest and found a somewhat comfortable place to sleep.

***

When we awoke, we headed straight to the river. After Finn chickened out, Goggle Boy took his place and swung across first. We cheered when he landed and held up a since that read "Mount Weather."

The happiness quickly diminished when a loud swoosh sounded over our heads. The sound headed towards Goggle Boy and struck him in the chest.

I quickly ushered everyone into the forest and we sprinted our asses off.

We were not alone.