I decided to go the easy route and avoid the question.  “Sweety, you can call me Lainey.”

And with that I quickly dodged out of the room before she could ask me again.  I went downstairs and saw Mrs. Wolf leaving the kitchen with a purse and car keys, heading in the way of the front door.

Before I knew what I was doing, I was in front of her.  “Um, I thought I’d make sure it’s okay that I took this room right here.”  She nodded and I continued.  “So where are you going?”

“Oh, I’m just running off to the store to get some milk and eggs and stuff like that.  Do you need anything?  Clothes, a swimsuit, any special food requests?  The store closes in two hours, and it’s thirty minutes away, so I’m in a bit of a rush, so why don’t you just call me on my cell phone if you think of anything?  Kyle has the number.”

“Um, why don’t I just come with you? I could find clothes for myself while you find food?”  This was my chance to get out of here, and all I could do was hope she would agree to it.

She studied me, and I could tell she guessed what I was thinking, but after a moment she nodded.  “Okay, I suppose that would be best.  Come on, let’s run!”

I ran into my room really fast to get my phone and put it in my “feminine pocket” as my mother always called it.  It was unnoticeable, and if it was, I doubted Mrs. Wolf would put her hand down my bra to get it.

We drove off to a local general store and arrived after a half an hour of long awkward silence.  When we got there we went inside together and she pointed me in the direction of the clothes.  I went over and looked around for a minute.  When I was sure she was out of sight, I ran.  I ran to the door, I ran through the large parking lot, and I just kept running.  I finally got to an almost busy street and tried to get a car to stop.  Any car.

After about fifteen minutes, a car with darkly tinted windows stopped and I ran over to get in.  I was too busy thanking the man in the driver’s seat as I buckled into the seat belt, that I didn’t even realize who it was.  “Thank you so much!  I just need to go to a bus station or something that will send me to Maryland.  You would not believe the day I’ve had!”

I heard chuckling and the man next to me responded, “Actually, I think I would.”  I looked over and mentally killed myself, brought myself back to life, and killed myself again.  “Kyle, why are you doing this to me?  Just let me go home!  I’ll stay at Katie’s house, but you have to let me go home eventually!”

“Look, Lainey, I’m sorry, but I can’t.  He made a sharp u-turn and we were headed straight for his house.  I was so mad at myself I didn’t even yell at him for calling me Lainey.

We came to a road that was surrounded by a bunch of tall grass.  A plan quickly formed in my mind, and within thirty seconds I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the car door as fast as I could.  Kyle was too shocked to do anything as a rolled out of the moving vehicle.

I tumbled out and was surprised when I didn’t have any serious injuries.  Of course I hurt all over, but I could still run.  I was running as fast as I could, waving at the cars that passed.  I looked down at the distance where Kyle’s car was, and saw it take another quick u-turn.

I panicked as I waved at car after car and after about ten seconds, when Kyle’s car was just less than forty feet away, a Toyota Tundra pulled over and the man in the driver’s seat motioned me in.  I opened the door and climbed in, thanking him for stopping.  I looked at Kyle’s car and saw his face.  He looked like he could kill me.

“Where to, pretty lady?”  He had a southern accent that I almost laughed at.  It was so strong it sounded almost fake.

“Uh, I would say a bus station, but I think the police would be better.  And you might want to step on it.  That psycho in the black car right there is after me.  Don’t ask me why, because I have no idea.”