Breakfast for dinner

Cool, sweet air filled your nostrils. Thoughts clouded your head like a storm not yet to be. Your hands ran over the dirt softly, and you closed your eyes to isolate this feeling. You only wanted to feel this.

The greenhouse was so calm. You felt at peace. It probably had to do with the fact Snake Man had just injected you with his venom, so you assumed your brain was on some sort of high. You opened your eyes again and traced your fingers down the leaves of a flower close to you. You rubbed your thumb over the veins of the leaf, a smile beginning to form at the edges of your mouth.

You moved your hand to the delicate, sweet-smelling petals of the flower. They were pink, with splotches of red on the edges. Towards the inside, towards the stamen, the colors faded into a deep persimmon and then into a bold orange.. and a yellow. Such a sweet gradient held your eyes captive.

You heard the sound of footsteps, and then someone clearing their throat. You turned your head, and almost immediately your expression became a scowl.

"Hi." Proto Man stepped towards you. You turned back around and gave your attention back to the flower. He sat down beside you.

"I'm sorry about the camera." The scar-wearing robot said.

You refused to reply. You just continued focusing on the captivating plant before you. You wanted nothing to do with the stupid robot.

Seeing that you weren't going to say anything to him, he kept talking. "I spoke to Wily. He said I would have to get you another camera."

You said nothing still.

"He said I could take you into the city with me so that you could pick out the camera."

Now he had gotten your attention. You looked at him, your eyes widened.

"Really?" You asked. This was unbelievable. You were gonna get to leave.

"But I have to make sure you come back." Protoman narrowed his eyes. Your heart dropped, but it didn't stay that way for long. Being out in the open.. a chance for escape.

"When are we going?" You asked. He gave a shrug.

"Tomorrow." He got back to his feet. "It's going to be cold. Dress accordingly."

You nodded and silently watched the robot leave.

After he left, you threw your hands in the air and let out a cheer. You were excited. You'd have to think about your escape, but now you were this close to getting home. You would miss Quick and Bubble. And maybe Gemini Man. No, never mind.

You wouldn't miss Gemini Man.

You chuckled to yourself and got to your feet. Your wound was hurting a bit again. But it was bearable. You began walking down the hall, and could feel your stomach grumbling. You rested your hand on it and made your way up the stairs. This was a much more difficult task than expected, causing your wound to roar back to life and shoot pain throughout your body. You dealt with it. You were determined to make it up these stairs.

At the top, you paused to catch your breath. You grinned at your success. Knowing you were getting better at doing things on your own made you feel amazing. By now, the wound was almost completely closed up.

You stepped into the kitchen and rummaged around for things you could cook. There were the ingredients for a sandwich, but you wanted something else. You found some eggs.. some pancake mix and milk. Some fruit as well.

Breakfast for dinner.

Everything was coming together. Breakfast for dinner sounded delicious, and you began moving about the kitchen gracefully. Cracking eggs carefully, mixing batter, and searching through the cabinets for other items.

Chocolate chips.

You were gonna have a field day.

It didn't take long, and you had made yourself dinner. But now you had a mess to clean. As you started, Quick stepped into the kitchen. He chuckled a little at the sight.

"What happened here?" He asked. You looked over and grinned.

"I got hungry. And creative." You smiled. He walked over and carefully grabbed your wrists to stop you from cleaning. He then turned you around rather quickly so that your back was resting on the counter. His hands keeping a gentle grip on your wrists, he leaned down and brought his body close to yours.

He paused, bringing his mouth down close to your ear.

"I heard about your and protoman's trip out tomorrow. I want you to be careful. I know you think this is a chance for escape, but please listen to me when I tell you that it's not. Proto won't be kind if you try to pull anything. Please just do as he says."

It took you a moment to focus on what he was saying. Your face was colored a bright shade of red. You could hear the fans in his chest a little louder now that there was no armor to muffle it.

"Do you understand?" He asked calmly. You slowly nodded.
He let go of your wrists.

"I'll clean up the kitchen, you go enjoy your meal." He smiled. Once again you silently nodded, took your plate, and left. You went to the lounge and sat on the couch. You searched for the remote to the TV, but couldn't find one. So you sat there in silence while you ate. With nothing but your thoughts. It really was delicious, but the food couldn't outweigh your fears right now. Maybe you had been thinking too simply, you had no chance of escape. Proto would keep an eye on you like a hawk.

But this was your only shot, and who knows when you were gonna get another one. Hanging out with rather strange robots is cool and all, but you needed to get back to your normal life.

And then the way Quick had just spoken to you. It made you nervous to just think about it. He always went from strangely stoic to caring, to that.

You pushed all of these thoughts to the back of your head. You didn't want to think about it. It made your stomach twist into knots.

Thankfully, someone came into the room. Snake Man came in, without all of his armor. He had the remote, and sat down beside you. He turned the tv on.

"Hey, Snake.." you said, to get his attention. He looked over, questioningly.

"Why aren't you.. you know.. trying to hurt me like the first time we met?" You asked, kind of daringly. You recalled the time you stumbled upon his room on accident. He had his snakes attack you.

Snake shrugged. "Wily fixed my programming. I was built to be a trained killer, so all my killing instincts got mixed up with other stuff, and I couldn't sort out the right things. So I wasn't acting right. That also has to do with me ending up shooting you." Snake sighed.

"No to say that that I wouldn't give you a bite if you asked." Snake grinned and flashed his teeth at you. You laughed a little bit.

Snake turned back to the tv.

"Have you seen Wily's photos?" He quietly asked.