Best Friend

You and Jimin had been neighbors for as long as you could remember. You had played together when you were little and had always had sleepovers. His parents and your parents had also been best friends, until the day that Jimin's mom died. On a rainy night, Jimin and his family had been driving home from a movie when a drunk driver hit their car. His mother was killed instantly, but Jimin and his father were lucky to escape with their lives. After that, Jimin's father became depressed and started drinking to forget about the death of his wife. Jimin spent more and more time at your house, with your family. Sometimes, Jimin's father would go on a business trip and leave Jimin at your house. That's when you first discovered his fear.
The bad weather had been forecasted for days, and Jimin's dad had just left on a trip that afternoon. Jimin had gone to bed in the guest room, which was right next door to your room. The storm was awful. Thunder shook the foundational of the house. You heard a loud cry, barely audible over the storm. You went running towards the source which you knew was Jimin. You would recognize his voice anywhere.
Jimin was huddled into a small ball, sobbing underneath the blankets. His entire body trembled in terror.
"Chim," you had whispered and his small hand had shot out from under the blankets, grabbing you and pulling you down to him. His entire body shook and you hugged him hard. Jimin turned into you, soaking your shirt through with his tears. "It's okay, Jimin." You tried to soothe him.
"Eomma!" Jimin cried.
You didn't leave him for the rest of the night. You woke up the next morning to an embarrassed Jimin staring at you. "Don't tell anyone, Y/N!" He begged you.
You hugged him gently. I won't tell anyone. Not ever.

***

Jimin walked by your side, leaning his weight on you with an arm draped casually over your shoulders. As you passed by  a group of girls they giggled and whispered to each other, staring at your friend. Jimin, in return, threw them a teasing  wink with his customary smirk plastered on his lips. The girls blushed cherry red and squealed.
You rolled your eyes.
Jimin saw it and laughed, moving his arm to wrap tight around your waist. "Jealous, Y/N?"
"Not a bit," you scoffed. "Just wondering why girls still like you, even after they know your reputation." 
Jimin snickered and nuzzled his face into your neck. "Then why do you still like me?"
"I don't," you replied dryly. "You're just a parasite who drains my time and money and won't leave me alone."
His quiet laugh made his breath brush against your neck. "Muffin, why am I friends with you? You're mean."
"Mm," you said. You scratched his head a little, grinning when he leaned into your hand like a cat. When you reached your houses Jimin just followed you into your house, walking familiarly through the back door and into the kitchen. 
He inhaled deeply, groaning. "Your mom's cooking."
"Mom, we're home!" you hollered into the rest of the house.
Your mom flashed into the kitchen, trapping you and Jimin in a tight embrace. "Hello, my sweet babies!"
You and Jimin struggled to breathe in her grasp.
"Hi Mrs. Y/L/N," Jimin choked.
Your mom grabbed both of your hands and dragged you into the living room, pushing you into the couch. You collapsed against  each other, gasping.
"Sit here," your mother instructed. She scurried back into the kitchen, emerging a moment later with a platter of crackers and some kind of white dip spread across them. "Try it!" she urged. "It's a new recipe !" 
You waved your mom off  because of your lack of hunger, but Jimin scarfed down as many of the little crackers as he could fit in his mouth. "Mrs. Y/L/N, these are amazing!"
Your mom watched in pleasure as her food was enjoyed by your friend. After watching him eat almost the entire plate of crackers, you grabbed Jimin's hand and pulled him up. "Thanks Mom!" Jimin waved to your mom and grabbed the last couple of crackers as you dragged him up the stairs to your room. You dropped your bags inside the door of your bedroom, shutting the door behind you. Now full and getting sleepy from the long day of school, Jimin curled up on his obligatory spot on the left side of your bed.
"Yah," you said when his eyes began to close. "We have homework."
"Five minutes, Y/N," he sighed in response.
"Jimin," you chastised.
He whined cutely, kicking his legs in frustration. "Muffin...I'm sleepy..."
You plopped down on the bed next to him with your textbooks, poking his side. "Five minutes is three hours to you. I don't want to be rushing to do this in the study period tomorrow, Park Jimin." .
Jimin kicked a leg out to push the textbooks off your bed with his foot.
"Yah!" You screeched when he grasped your arm tightly, pulling you to lay next to him. He patted your cheek and rested his head on your shoulder. "Five minutes, Y/N."

***

You yawned heavily, blinking your eyes open. Your body was heavy and relaxed with sleep and you were warm. You could feel Jimin huddled against your back, fingers curled tightly into the back of your shirt. His forehead rested against your upper back.
You must have fallen asleep too. You remembered Jimin drifting off against your shoulder, but you couldn't recall falling asleep yourself. You glanced at the clock beside your bed, groaning lazily. It was 7:00 p.m. and there was no way on earth either you or Jimin would be able to sleep tonight. You turned to the sleeping boy, gently shaking his shoulder to wake him.
He muttered and batted your hands away. You sighed, shaking him harder. "Chim, wake up."
Jimin's eyes slitted open, peeking out at you. "Why?"
"It's 7:00," you whispered. "If you don't get up now, you won't sleep tonight."
He rolled over and stretched his arms above his head, extending to his full length before relaxing. "Muffin, why are you always so boring? I can't help but fall asleep when I'm next to you."
You glared at him. "I was trying to get homework done, stupid."
Jimin flipped back over and rested his head on his hands, propped up on his elbows. "See? Boring."
"Yah," you muttered half heartedly. Jimin suddenly lunged at you, wrapping. his arms around your shoulders and trapping your arms against your side.
"Go back to sleep." He closed his eyes again and you shoved his shoulder.
"If you want to stay, fine. But go to the guest room," you griped.
Jimin sighed and actually stood up, glaring down at you. "Our love is one-sided, Muffin. Love me."
You felt the tiniest bit of guilt seeping into you and you hated it, so you muttered, "I do love you, Chim." His expression brightened. "But I would love you even more if you were sleeping in the guest room."
Jimin groaned. He resignedly leaned down and embraced you, resting his chin on your shoulder. "Goodnight, Muffin." He placed a gentle kiss on your forehead and left, walking down the hall to the guest room.
You laughed to yourself. Even if he irritated the crap out of you most days, he was also your best friend and you loved him more than anything. Snuggling into your sheets that are still warm from Jimin's temperature, you peacefully fell back asleep.