Chapter 4

Daryl's pov

I like Rayne, she's straight to the point, and demands respect. Not to mention pulling that deer up by herself, she's pretty smart from what I could tell.

I walked out with my crossbow and saw her throwing a knife at a target, it was obvious that she was new at throwing knives, but she was still pretty good. I walked over to her pulling the knife out of the wooden target.

Rayne's pov

I felt a hand tap me and I turned around, oh, it was just Daryl.

"Tryin' to learn throwin' knives?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, just something to learn, I guess." He nodded and showed me some pointers on how to hold the knife, when to release, all that good stuff.

"So, can you show me how you'd do it?" I asked him and he nodded, took all the knives, told me something to remember, and threw them all, hitting the target near perfectly.

"Wow." I said and he grinned.

"It just takes practice." He said.

"Well, thanks for teaching me."

"No problem." He said and walked back into the house.

I followed him into the house and put my weapons by the door. I sat down in the living room and saw everyone sitting in the same room.

"Well, I think introductions are necessary." Hershel said, I stood up and greeted everyone.

There was Lori, Andrea, Rick, Shane, Dale, Daryl, Carol, Sophia, Glenn, T-Dog and Carl, which was in the bedroom, recovering. This was a big group and big group means lots of mouths to feed, which means I need to hunt more often. I'm going to go out today, while there's still light and hunt for a few hours. After introductions I walked to the door and grabbed my Vortex and knife and went outside into the woods, I sat up in a tree and waited. I threw my knife at a squirrel and hit it, that was pretty good for a beginner.

About three minutes later, I saw a walker, as their group calls them, shot it, got my arrow, and then there was another, so I stabbed it with my knife. I got back into the tree and shot two more squirrels after a long time waiting.

It was getting late, so I gathered my kills, and my hunting equipment. I went back to the house and laid my stuff by the door, I decided to wait until morning to skin and gut the animals. I put them in a little freezer Hershel had to help preserve them.

I went upstairs and Beth waved me into the room where Carl was. Since the blood transfusion, he's been able to talk better, but he still wasn't allowed to walk until tomorrow though. I wonder if he hunts too, or knows how to track. Even if he can't, I could still teach him, hopefully.  I walked into the room and sat down next to Beth, she instantly covered her nose and said,

"Dear Lord Rayne, go freshen up, you smell like death."I laughed at her then said,

"Sorry, I killed two of those things, and shot two squirrels, so yeah, I'm not gonna smell like daisies and sunshine. Unlike you, how do you still smell good?"

"I don't go outside, so I don't sweat, or kill things, by the way, don't tell my dad you kill those dead people. He thinks they're sick, remember? He is against killing them." I nodded, recalling the conversation from days ago and walked out of the room and into mine where I wiped myself off with a rag. I put more deodorant on and called it good. I went back in to the room I was just in and sat down.

"Much better." Beth said.

"So, what are you doing in here?"

"Taking care of him, if he has another seizure, I have to tell my dad. Luckily he's been doing fine, he's just sleeping now, but when he's awake, he's really nice." Beth told me, I nodded and then added,

"Yeah, pretty good looking too." She laughed and then someone rang the dinner bell.

"We had a lot of deer meat leftover, so I fixed that and also some canned green beans." My mom told me handing me a plate, it smelled delicious. It's amazing in just a matter of five days everything can change. I sat down across from Daryl and next to Maggie and Dale. Their group seemed pretty nice. Sophia and I get along really well, although she is a tad bit shy.

I've also learned a lot about them from listening to their stories.

"So, what's our plan?" Rick asked looking at his group.

"We stay here for as long as we can, help out, pull our own weight." Glenn said.

"Sounds good." Rick said, looking at everyone for approval, everyone but Shane nodded. He seems a little shady. Maybe he's just a little shaken up by this whole walker thing. I know I was, but I got over it.

I finished my food and went back up to tell Beth the food was ready and that I would watch Carl. She thanked me and I nodded, taking her spot. I made the great decision of bringing a rag and my arrows to clean them. I was cleaning my seventh one and I heard a grumble, I look up confused but I realized it was just Carl. A few minutes later I heard,

"Who are you?" I looked up and saw Carl looking at me with a confused expression.

"I'm Rayne, Beth had to eat so I took watch."

"Cool, could you get a glass of water for me?" He asked holding the glass out. I nodded and went downstairs to get water, I realized what he had done, he had just tricked me.

I walked back upstairs and just looked at him with a blank expression. He looked at me and started laughing.

"I got you." He said still laughing.

"Yeah yeah, very funny. " I said giving him the glass back, I realized he had an I.V that was giving him water. Way to be observant there Rayne.

"So, how are you?" He asked trying to keep conversation.

"Oh, you know, the usual, killing dead people, not being able to take a shower, and smelling like crap, you?"

"Oh, you know, the usual, getting shot, not being able to walk." He said, smiling.

"So, you can walk tomorrow, right?"

"Yep"

"Where are you going to walk first?"

"To the living room."

"Good choice, I would've gone for the kitchen, but to each their own, anyways, how old are you?"

"I'm thirteen, you?"

"Twelve."