Chapter 5

Carl's pov

I woke up and was going to ask Beth something, but I saw someone else. She had blonde hair and was cleaning arrows.

"Who are you?" I asked

"I'm Rayne..." She said something else too, but I didn't care, she was pretty. Beth was too, but Rayne was prettier. I noticed she had blue eyes too. I wonder if she's in the mood for jokes? I asked her to get a glass of water for me and she went to get it, I wonder how long it'll take her to realize there isn't running water. She walked back in and just looked at me. I started to laugh and she walked over and handed the glass back.

"Yeah yeah, very funny." She said sitting down, we talked a little more and then the conversation died. We sat there for a few minutes and then Beth walked back in.

Rayne's pov

"Hey." Beth said carrying in a plate of food for Carl.

"Hey." I said cleaning more arrows.

"Why do you like cleaning weapons? it's intimidating."

"Because I figured he'd be asleep for a while and I needed something to do."

"But they're so, pointy and sharp."

"Yeah, that's kinda the point." I said, making a really cheesy joke, winking at the end. Beth just busted into laughter.

"That's so corny!" She said in between he laughs.

"Thank you. I'll be here all week." I said standing up, taking a bow. I yawned and sat down.

"Rayne, go to bed, you're tired."

"Yeah, but so are you, you've been keeping watch the whole day, this is least I can do." I said waving her off.

"Yeah, but you actually go outside and hunt, which takes energy, sitting down doesn't take a whole lot of energy."

"All I'm doing tomorrow is looking for a lake."

"I know there's one close by, it's on the edge of the property line, behind the barn, you can't see it right away, and it's not huge."

"Ok, well then I'm not doing anything except for skinning and gutting two squirrels."

"That's disgusting." Beth shook her head.

"Well, you gotta eat, right?"

"Good point, you can take watch then." Beth said walking out of the room and into hers across the hall.

I looked at Carl and he was still awake.

"Excited to walk tomorrow?"

"Yes, I've been bored out of mind, it's exhausting laying in bed all day when I could be doing something useful."

"I understand, I broke my foot when I was seven and was really mad I couldn't go hunting." I shrugged.

"I think you'd like Daryl a lot." He said.

"Yeah, I do, I've met him already, he seems pretty cool."

"How many walkers have you killed?" He asked, I remembered the two in the woods when this first started, and two in the woods today.

"Four, why?"

"I was just wondering, I've killed only three."

"Well, do you have any idea how this happened?"

"Not a clue."

"Are your parents down there?" I asked, wondering if Rick was his dad, since he carried him in here the first day.