~ One ~

Chapter One: 

It was the eleventh night of the eleventh month, at eleven eleven PM. Everyone in the house had fallen asleep, the lights were off and their silent snores drifted their way into my bedroom as I lay wide awake. 

How could they all sleep on a night like this? 

The thunder pounded any listeners eardrums, lightning flashed across the room, and the soft pitter patter of rain had turned into loud pounding drums. 

So here I lay, alone in my bed, shivering and hugging my pillow, using the elven-eleven time to wish for sleep. I willed for sleep. Yet on the nights I wanted it the most it never came. Nor did it really ever come anyways. Being an insomniac drives everyone mad. 

Sleep is bliss. A way to shut out the world. No matter how many times I lay my head against my pillow and will myself to fall asleep, I am unable. And when I do sleep, I am plagued with nightmares that tell of horror movie worthy events. 

Tomorrow though, I will be discharged from St. Mary's Home For Delinquent Girls, a hospital/housing institute for disabled, orphaned, mental healthers, druggies, and just plain out delinquents. I was sent here for the most stupid, unbelievable reason of all. 

Being Blind. 

According to the other girls at the house, (the ones that are capable of speech) my eyes are a grey. 

Galaxy eyes.  They call them. But those are only what the women who run the household want the girls to believe. I'm not really sure whats wrong with my eyes, I can't see them anyways, but according to Mathilde a sweet young French woman,  my eyes are "Special". On occasion, at least once a day,  when I hope hard enough, I can see the lighter outlines of things around the room. 

Everything is black. Except for small outlines that indicate objects. And even those are hard to see, but the scariest part of it all, are the colors

When I get emotional, or if anyone I see gets too overly emotional, colors fly everywhere and take form around my vision. I've come to assume they represent different emotions, and I've deciphered what each one means. 

I assume every blind person has this, or else I'm just going insane. But thanks to the outlines, 

Tomorrow I will be free. 

Tomorrow is my eighteenth birthday, meaning I have the right to leave this place I live in. Well technically not leave, I am required to get a job and get a place to live in and be financially stable before I can stop living here. But I'm allowed to leave the house, walk past those gates that I run into every now and then and walk into the city I've been longing to see since I was six. Well not see, perhaps, but hear, feel, taste, smell. 

They isolate us here, they hide us from the public view for reasons I don't understand, and we all blindly follow. Well I literally blindly follow, but you get my point. 

"Sky...?" I heard her footsteps before she was in my room and a smile formed on my lips. "Are you awake?" The six year old made her way to the side of the bed, I could feel her warmth against my arm. "Come here Alena," I held my arms out for her and made a warm smile...or what I hoped was one. 

I used to be able to see, I could see everything. I had excellent vision, and then my parents got into an accident and died...and I was left blind by the incident. 

Alena climbed into my arms slowly and pulled the covers over herself and me. "The thunder scared me." She whispered, her voice soft and innocent. I stroked her hair gently and nodded. "The thunder is scary. But don't you worry," a wider smile tugged at my lips and I whispered, "it's just god farting." And tickled her. Alena squealed and began laughing squirming under my tickles. 

"Can I sweep with you tonwight Sky?" It was evident that she had began sucking on her thumb, something she never really grew out of. "Of course Ally," I aimed for her nose and accidentally poked her cheek. She giggled and took my hands putting it on her nose. "You did it!" She laughed lightly, and cuddled herself into me to stay warm. 

The house didn't have enough money to pay for good beds, or sheets. Each patient had one or two blankets unless the doctor had decided otherwise. The cold really never bothered me, I got used to it. I guess you had to when you slept here every night for a bit more than a decade. 

"Can you tell me a story Sky?" Alena asked, she was always full of questions. Mainly "can" and "why" were her favorites, but she just liked knowledge. And she called me the knowledge whale after some bald guy she had seen some of the other kids watching on an app called Youtube. 

"What would you like the story to be about?" I asked, petting her soft hair. "Tell me the story about the werewolves again! Please?"

 I nodded. 

"Once upon a time, in a land far far away, there lived a boy. His hair was the color of chocolate, his eyes the color if the garden snakes that sway with the corn, and his face, more handsome than any other man who ever lived. He was the king. 

One day, when he was walking through a village, he met a peasant girl, dressed in plain clothes, dust wiped across her face and her hair was a mess, but she smiled at him, not knowing he was the king. That smile was all it took for the king to fall head over heals with the peasant girl. 

He invited her to a ball that was being hosted in his honor, and she was given a gown made of the finest silk, jewelry that only a queen would wear , and shoes that would only fit her feet. 

That night as she walked down the steps of the entrance to the ball with the king, another man appeared, seemingly even more handsome than the king." I paused, moving my head downwards as if I was looking at Alena. 

"He challenged the king to a duel, saying that whoever won would get the peasant girl. As the king and man fought, the man began howling and suddenly changed into a vicious growling, gurgling werewolf. He pounced on the king and killed him immediately, then he killed the peasant girl. 

Until this day if you go to where the castle was, you can still hear there cries." I finished. The story was violent, but Alena had demanded I tell her it, and she liked it. I heard a soft snore and realized Little Alena had fallen asleep next to me. 

I smiled and pressed a kiss to her forehead, she was like a sister to me, a non-blood, non-blind family member. 

I closed my eyes once more before drifting of into a very light sleep.