Chapter one

I woke up by the sound of my alarm. I groaned as I forced myself to get up. Another dreadful day I have to go through at school. I hope that devil is absent today. At least I could spend my day peacefully without him disturbing me.

I took a quick shower and dressed in white t-shirt and jeans. I took another look at myself in the mirror. A girl with dark brown hair and pale blue eyes was staring back at me. I’m a typical girl, almost 17 years old with big black rimmed glasses because first, it’s comfortable (?) I don’t know but it is to me. Second, my grandpa wears that kind of glasses. My grandma and I think he looks cool. I like to read and have good grades so people like me are called nerds.

“Skye!” my mom called from downstairs. “Adeline is here.”

“I’m coming,” I replied as I reached out for my bag and went down.

A beautiful blonde girl was standing at the doorway. She was with my mom. After taking a sip of orange juice and stuffed my mouth with a toast, I followed Adeline to her car.

We waved goodbye to my mom and off to school.

********************************

Clichés.
My school is full of clichés.
Heck, I’m one of those too because I’m a nerd who has a crush on one of the popular guys in my school and could never have a chance with him. Want to know why? I think you can guess it by now. Popularity among students in my school are very over-whelming. And nerds or freaks like the other students have nicely put it that way, are at the bottom of the social ladder. A lot of it has to do with appearance.

And I didn’t know wearing certain kind of glasses or braces or anything they think 'uncool' could be a huge problem towards other students. So what if we didn’t wear trendy clothes or have clear and fair skin or have model-like body? Why is it so important?

Ugh. Just thinking about this is making my head hurt. Anyway, Adeline and I are making our way inside the school.

The hallway was filling with students since lesson hasn’t started yet. Adeline was looking at me from head to toe as I opened my locker.

“Skye Roxana, there’s no point buying you all that cute skirts and tops if you won’t wear it. I even have taught you how to be fashionable but again you ignore it,” Adeline said, crossing her arms.

“I don’t like it. Besides, I love the way I dresses and I think I’m fashionable enough,” I said and shut my locker. “So Adel, just drop it for now. Besides, no matter how cute or expensive the clothes I wear it won’t change how I really look. I mean look at me”

“There you go again. Stop thinking that way. You are beautiful and whoever doesn’t see that is a blind human,” Adeline said, frowning.

I was about to reply but she held out her hand to stop me. “And if you say another word against me, I won’t give your birthday present this year,”

I puffed my cheeks. She always uses this against me ever since she told me that her present would be something amazing and it got me all curious and excited.

Ugh, just a few months now.
Suddenly she nudged me and I looked at the direction where she was looking.

It’s Nathaniel Oliver. Oh gosh, he looks more handsome than yesterday, although I don’t know if that is even possible. He’s tall with auburn hair and well-built. He is really cool and full of charisma. His smile could melt any girl’s heart. He walked pass us and I swear I couldn’t take my eyes off him. But when he turned his head, I quickly looked somewhere else. I couldn’t meet his gaze because I’m a coward and is too shy to do that.