Memories by RavenOfDeath__

By @RavenOfDeath_

I sat on my rocking chair, feeling unusually tired and weary. Well, it might be because of my old age.

Letting out a heavy sigh, I started to rock the chair at a slow pace. The air was thick with death and I knew that my time was almost up. It'll just be a matter of minutes till my old friend Death pays me a visit.

True enough, a huge black butterfly flew in through the open window and shifted into a skeletal figure wearing a cloak darker than the midnight sky. With a smile, Death motioned his hand for me to follow him. I slowly stood up from my rocking chair, as the room dissolved into the shadows, leaving us in a dark void.

A path made of wispy dark purple mist materialised and Death took me by the hand and lead me onwards. Bit by bit, images started to form around us. Images that were the memories of me, they were Death's memories of me.

Among these images was a baby, one that was hooked up to multiple machines that beeped every few seconds. I was looking at my younger self. I looked pale and sickly and devoid of life. As a baby who was born with cancer, my chances of survival were lower than low. I was on the verge of dying, and the doctors couldn't do anything to help, but Death decided to intervene (something he never does) and He gave me more time to live.

I looked at him, my heart filled with gratitude. "You really went out of your way to buy me more time eh? Ninety years is a long time you know. You do know that the Creators(divine beings that created everything) don't like it when you do that, so why did you give me more time to live?" He shrugged and continued to lead me forward, not answering me.

I sighed and trudged on, He was never the talkative kind. I befriended Death when I was 7. I never had any friends, even up until now. No one ever wanted to be my friend. At least, nobody but Death. He was always by my side. Throughout my whole life, whenever he could, he would float right over me and give me reassurance that someone was there for me.

Even as I hit rock bottom when my parents died, the only people who accepted me, He never left my side. He shrouded me with His comforting darkness and covered me. Granting me peace and serenity.

Towards the end of memory lane was a tall shining door, the door that'll would lead me into the Valley of Souls(basically the afterlife). I turned towards him, tears pooling and glistening in my eyes, "I guess this is goodbye?" I said, my voice quivering, tears threatening to overflow.

He responded with a sad nod. Stretching his arms out wide, he brought me into his embrace. His skeletal and bony frame against my thin and frail one. Tears began to slide down my face, "I'll miss you... I'll never forget you. You're my best friend; and you'll always be." I cried into His shoulder, my whole body quaking. I let out an anguished cry filled with melancholy. I was leaving my one and only friend for God knows how long.

After what seemed like an eternity of crying, I lifted my head, tears halting to a slow trickle. I gingerly pushed the door open and turned around to look at Him one last time. "I love you, old friend. Thank you. I'll see you soon again." I whispered as threads of ethereal light wound round my spirit, slowly dissipating me into the quintessence filled void known as the Afterlife.

The memories we shared together, will last until the end of time. Time will not be able to sever the bond that we share. It'll be our eternal memory.