Eros laughed without humor and obnoxiously loud. “We failed? We can’t handle responsibility? Jeez Mr. C – you’re the one trying to put a dome over this little town, trying to imprison the humans living here.”

The teacher’s face showed surprise for a split second, but then he caught himself. “I was planning no such thing, Mr. Slayer.”

“What are you talking about?” Rennor demanded to know. “What other students got involved? Who is planning what?”

“Ah, I see you haven’t just brought in more people to help you with your plans,” Mr. Combright said. “You also neglected to inform everyone involved about what is going on. Or more accurately, about what you think is going on.”

“What do you mean?” Aurora asked angrily. “What have you been keeping from us?” That last question was directed at Eros and me.

“All in due time, dear students,” Mr. C said mockingly. “These two culprits will have more than enough time to account for their hasty and foolish actions later tonight. Right now, we need to get to the school before we attract even more attention.”

“What about the cops?” Rennor asked. “We can’t just leave them here.”

“Already taken care of,” the teacher assured him. “Mr. Han should be here soon – he can compel them to forget any of this ever happened.”

“Hammerhead can use mind control?” I asked, shocked. Why didn’t he tell us? I shifted through my memories, but couldn’t come up with Hammerhead telling me about his power.

“That’s not important right now,” Mr. Combright discarded my inquiry. “Let’s get going.”

Anyone who tried to say something was rudely shushed by the teacher, so eventually we all just walked behind him, back in the general direction of the school. When we were about halfway, we were joined by Mr. Crowley and Mrs. Hall – both members of the school board. They were escorting Will, Antwan, Minnie, Drew and last but definitely not least… a very disgruntled Simon, who immediately came walk by my side, but who refused to look at either me or Eros.

“Simon, I…”

“Don’t,” he grumbled. “Just don’t.”

“Just break up with me already,” I replied, surprised how calm I managed to sound. Inside, I was screaming and crying for him to stay with me. I’d always known I was a selfish, cruel person at times, but I had shocked even myself today. I’d cheated on my boyfriend, led my friends into danger, let on Eros even though I’d sworn to stay away from him and on top of all that… I had tasted blood.

Just when that thought crossed my mind, Simon looked up and reached for my face. “There’s dried blood on your face,” he said astounded. “What happened?”

I shivered and wrapped my arms around myself. “Someone grabbed me when I thought…” Even now, I couldn’t bring myself to say yet again that I’d believed Eros had died. It had been horrifying and I couldn’t shake that feeling of being all alone in the world, lost without him.

“I’m right here,” Eros murmured, taking my hand. “I’m just fine. Stun guns don’t really work on vampires – they only take you out temporarily.”

“You didn’t know it wasn’t a real bullet coming for me,” I replied, still unable to grasp the concept of Eros being instinctively willing to lay down his life for me.

“He took a shot that was meant for you?” Simon asked, his anger slowly seeping away, being replaced by astonishment and wornness.

“Part of the reason I was to stick with her tonight was because I needed to protect her, right?” Eros answered nonchalantly. “That’s all I was trying to do.”