1.9 | His Shelter + Earning Respect

Posted on Dec 6, 2016 | Edited on April 9th, 2018

| . . . C H A P T E R . . . 1.9.1 - H I S - S H E L T E R . . . |

It was around three hours later when I looked in the side mirror. Jasper's car wasn't behind us. In fact, there were no cars behind us. "Did they get lost?"

"No."

"I don't see them."

He casually informed, "They just took a different route."

Now, things started getting clearer. He made sure the two of us would be alone in the car. "We aren't going to the same place as them, are we?"

When he didn't answer right away, I started to feel anxious. I sat up properly, my instincts on high alert. As if sensing it, he said. "Relax. We are. We are just taking a pit stop somewhere first. I told you, I wanted to show you something."

Right. I inhaled and worked on calming myself. "Do they know?"

"Kripa knows."

That made me feel better. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see." I hate him for being mysterious always.

"Atleast tell me how far we are?" I asked hoping to have some information atleast.

Thank my lucky stars. One answer he did give, "Half hour."

That I could work with. I rested my head against the door and closed my eyes till then, listening to music and the hum of the car, the zipping wind, the cool air from the air vent aimed at my face.

I couldn't help but smile. Though it was artificial cold, it reminded me of Shimla. I had come to hate this hot weather of Australia. It always made me uneasy especially with the clothes I wore.

I blinked open when he parked in front of a house in a remote location. The city must have been at some distance for there didn't seem to be many things around. It was surrounded by tall trees and a large clearing towards the back. There were some hills in the background but I imagine that would be somewhat of a trek.

I read the board after getting out of the car. "An orphanage?"

He walked around to stand beside me and glanced up at the board himself. Loving Smiles Orphanage. What sort of a name was it? "In a way. It's a shelter for those who have been... abused."

"Oh." The word escaped my lips without a second thought. This was the last place I expected him to bring me. Then again... I had no idea what I was expecting. Nothing he does is what I expect. Or maybe, I don't hold high expectations for him and so, when he does something like this, it takes me by surprise.

Is this why he knows how to help me? Or wants to help me?

"Yeah," he murmured as if hiding some emotion before nodding towards the door. As we approached the porch, the lights were turned on and before he could knock, a lady in her mid-40s opened the door.

She greeted him with a warm hug, "Ah, Arnav. I was wondering when you were going to be here. You're never this late." After they parted, she didn't wait for an answer as she noticed me. "And who is this? A friend?"

"Uh, yes." He answered and even it felt weird to me... the two of us - friends. That's something for the day. "Martha, meet Khushi. Khushi, Martha. She..."

I interjected, "Owns this place?"

Martha let out an amused laughed, "Oh dear, no. I only look after the place and the girls here. Arnav here is the owner."