3.19 | The Fun Uncle

Edited on: August 20th, 2020

| . . . C H A P T E R . . . 3.19 - T H E - F U N - U N C L E . . . |

The universe must have known I was thinking of Arnav. My phone buzzed with his call. I quickly answered while deciding to take the stairs instead of the elevator so I could have a few minutes of conversation. "You are going to live a hundred years," I commented over the saying. "I was just thinking about you."

"Same pinch to you too then. Looks like we'll be growing old together after all." His chirpy reply had me laughing. "I'm not disturbing, am I? I have no idea anymore when your lunch time is."

I could hear the smile in his voice change into a frown. "You're never a disturbance, and we were just on lunch break. I was called to Sam' office so I'm on my way there. Are you having a late lunch?"

That would be problematic with his diabetes. He had to eat at regular times.

"No, uh, I couldn't concentrate on meetings so di told me off. She was being bossy today."

His whiny statement had to be exaggerated. "Di is never bossy. You are just being a baby. What's wrong?"

"I miss you. I've gotten used to seeing you somewhere around this place every few minutes. Di says I am going through withdrawal symptoms. Can you believe her? Talking as if I am addicted to drugs or something."

I laughed at his complaints rather than his state. "Arnav, seriously, stop being Arnav and go be ASR before India starts claiming that settling down has turned you into a softie."

"Ugh, not you too." He muttered and I assumed I wasn't the first to give him tis advice today. I could count on both Anjali di and Lavanya to tell this to him. "Wait, why do you sound short of breath?"

I stopped climbing the stairs. I was indeed huffing. I had only climbed two flights of stairs. I confessed sheepishly, knowing i was going to be yelled at, "Uh, I took the stairs instead of the elevator?"

"Khu-shi." Two separate syllables as the lecture began, "You know what that does to you. What is the matter with you? I don't ever want to see you again in a hospital bed; do you not know that?"

"I only wanted a moment to talk to you." I explained innocently. I hadn't even thought about the strain it would put on my body.

He dragged an exhale as if to hold back his anger. "What am I to do of you?"

"Just love me like you do?"

"Excuse me?" My eyes snapped to note my surroundings at the third voice. Sam was staring at me from over his laptop screen seated at the couch he preferred over his desk.

I gulped realized I had walked into his office without knowing while talking on the phone. Damn it, this man made me forget about my whereabouts. "Crap," I muttered to myself before whispering in the phone, "Call you back." Then, I fumbled to end the call and hide my phone in the back pocket. "Um, I'm so sorry for walking in without knowing. I was talking on the phone and didn't realize when I... walked in."

I ended the rambling as it dawned how screwed up I could be. Not only had I walked in like this in the boss man's office, I had said 'love me like you do'. I hadn't read the book, duh, but given the hype when the move was released, I knew what it was and right now, I could say I am going to be 50 shades of fired.

"Take a sit, Miss Gupta."

I frowned, "Sir, if you are going to fire me, I prefer to stand so I can leave quickly."