Chapter 2: Reaching new heights

We were lead to the back of the house and we were met there by the hosts of the show Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, mainly known as Ant and Dec. "Hello everyone. How're you all doing?" Dec said to us. "We're good thank you for asking," Carol smiled in return. "Welcome to I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here 2016," Ant said enthusiastically. "What a treat it is to be here," Joel said making everyone laugh and I smiled. "I can probably guess that you're all wondering why there's only five of you here," Dec said. "Yeah it's a bit odd," Jordan replied. "Well you'll be meeting the rest of them soon but for now you five are our 'city celebrities' for today," Ant explained. "City celebrities?" Adam asked with the rest of us looking at each other really confused. "Well that means you'll be doing a trial in the city," Ant said. "So you'll see what's in store when we get there," Dec said. At this point I started to shake, if we're doing a trial in the city then that could only mean one thing... we're going up high!! Joel noticed that I was shaking and he gave me a reassuring hug and he quietly said, "It'll be alright. I'm scared of heights too but I'll be there for you."

I was right... we were now on top of a very high building in the middle of Sydney and when I seen what was in front of us, it made me even more anxious than what I already was. There was a horizontal metal plank placed over the edge of the building with a vertical pole and harness at the side. "Welcome to Tower of Terror," Dec said when he turned to face us. "Oh what a great name to call it," Adam said sarcastically. "Thanks. It actually didn't take very long to think of it," Ant laughed. "Each of you will take it in turns to walk across the plank to the yellow square at the end and you must stand there for 10 seconds before turning around and making your way back here," Dec told us and I was nearly about pass out looking at this. "Niamh, are you okay?" Ant asked as he noticed I wasn't looking good, "You look a bit pale." "Just a tad scared of heights lads," I said sarcastically making both Ant and Dec laugh. "Well we're not gonna force you to do this trial if you don't want to but that's your choice," Dec told me. "No, I came here to push myself so I'm gonna try to do it," I replied taking a deep breath. "Good on ya Niamh. Let's get you all ready," Ant said. Joel took my arm and softly said to me, "Are you sure about this?" "I told myself that I'd try to prove to myself that I'm capable of facing my fears," I replied looking at him. "Okay but remember to just pace yourself," he smiled at me and I gave a weak smile in return.

Carol was going first and when the timer went she started to walk across the plank to the end of it. "Come on Carol, you can do it," Jordan said loud enough for her to hear. When she started to turn around to come back to us, the plank started to shake vigorously. "Woah," Carol shouted trying to keep her balance. "Oh my gosh Carol," I said placing my hands on my face. She thankfully got back safe and she immediately hugged me when she got back. After Jordan, Adam and Joel all went, it was then my turn. I stood shaking for a bit before I finally got enough emotional strength to do it. "You can do it Niamh," I heard Joel shout trying to reassure me and the others started saying it also which made me smile a little. I slowly started to walk along the plank, my heart rate getting faster with every little step I took. When I got to the yellow spot on the plank it started to wobble like it did with the others and now I was really shitting myself. "Okay Niamh start to make your way back slowly," Dec shouted so I could hear, as if I was gonna go any faster than this.

I was a foot away from being back on the concrete floor of the building, my foot slipped and I fell forwards towards the concrete but before I came face first with the ground I was caught by a crew member, Adam and Joel. "Oh my gosh!! Are you alright sweetheart?" Carol asked me once Adam, Joel and the crew member helped me up. "I'm alright. I guess that proves just how scared of heights I am as I wanted to get off that thing really quickly," I said. "Well thankfully everything's okay now," Dec said. "So let's get you all out of those harnesses and we'll then tell you what will happen next," Ant told us before him and Dec left us to talk to some of the crew. Once they left Joel turned to me and said, "Are you okay? Please tell me you're okay." "Yeah I'm fine. Thanks Joel," I said looking at the ground. "I can't let you go through that again. Oh my gosh that was scarier than when I went across and I'm terrified of heights too." "I'm serious Joel, I'll be alright," I told him. "I'm glad you are," he replied giving me a tight hug which I returned.