Chapter 7: Knowledge is Power

Начните с самого начала

“Sorry,” Maggie says.  “I just didn’t expect you to be up that early.  You must really like this guy to be up before eleven on a Saturday.”

“I don’t know.  I think I like him.  I’ve never done this before.”  I feel really exposed saying that.  I’ve never even kissed a boy.

“This way,” Maggie says.  She leads me into a building.  We’re on the university campus.  There are old stone building and cobblestone paths.  “So how did he say it?  Was it like, ‘You know, I am going to a movie with friends or whatever, do you want to come along?’ Or was it like,” Maggie puts on her sexy voice, “Do you want to see, a movie next Friday night.”  Her shoulders always do this weird swaying thing when she uses her sexy voice.

I laugh.

“I’m serious,” she says, her voice normal again.

“He just asked if I wanted to see a movie.  It was just casual.”

“So, just go.  And it will be what it is.” 

“I guess,” I say.  I was hoping she would have some more insight.

“Anyways, my aunt works right over here,” Maggie says.  She leads me to an office and knocks on the door.  A middle aged woman walks out.  To be kind, she looks very nice, but she certainly doesn’t resemble the tomb raider image in my mind.  She is well dressed, with very little skin showing.  Her face in concealed with a make-up a layer or two too thick, and her is pulled back into a bun sitting atop her head.

The woman smiles.  “Hello there, Maggie.”

“Hi, Auntie Eleanor.  This is my friend Aaron.  He’s working with me on the project I was telling you about.”

“Why don’t you both come in?” Eleanor asks.

Me and Maggie go inside.  We all sit down.  There’s a desk on the far side of the room. 

Maggie goes on to tell her aunt a rather elaborate story about a school project we’re supposedly working on.  She explains that we’re trying to find information on an object called ‘the Sword of God.’

“The Sword of God?” Eleanor says.  “Are you sure it has to be an object?”

“I think so,” Maggie says.  “What do you think Aaron?” 

The angel didn’t really tell me what the Sword was.  I’m just supposed to find it.

“I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be an object,” I say.

“Okay then,” Eleanor says.  She thinks for a moment.  “You see, there are lots of references to the Sword of God throughout the Bible.  In the Old Testament, it was with a Sword that God smote the Egyptians.  There are other times when the Sword is used to punish heathens and non-believers.”

“So, it’s a weapon?” I ask.  I’m a little nervous about what I’m looking for.

“In so much as it’s associated with destruction, yes.  However, the stories I know of seem to suggest that the Sword is a metaphor for God’s wrath, not a physical object.”  She looks like there’s something else on her mind.

“Is there more?” I ask.

“Well, there is more, but it’s rather above what I think ought to be expected out of you for a high school project.”

“Can you please tell us?” I say.  “I have,” I try to think of a rational way of putting it, “a personal interest in the subject.  I’ve never studied something like this before.”

“Well, I was at a conference a while ago.  One of the paintings a colleague of mine discussed had an image on it.  I can’t remember the details, but it had to do with a religious sect from what is now northern France.  They were wiped out in the fourteenth century for not conforming to accepted doctrine.  Part of their belief had to do with Gladius Dei.  In English, it translates to the Sword of God.”

“Gladius Day?” I ask.  Could it mean Damien?  Could he be the Sword of God?

“It’s Latin,” Maggie says.  “Dei, like deity, not like day and night or anything else.”  She knows what I’m thinking.  It doesn’t make sense that I would have to find Day.  The angel could have easily contacted Day in the woods where we met, but I was contacted instead.

“So, what’s the Sword?” I ask.

“I’m sorry,” Eleanor says.  “I really don’t remember.  The presenter was rather,” she searches for the right word, “verbose.” The way she says it, it sounds like an insult.  “I could, however, get a copy of his paper if it interests both of you.”

“That would be amazing, Auntie El,” Maggie says.  It feels good to finally be making progress.

“Thank you,” I say.

“It should arrive in a week or two,” Eleanor says.

“In the meantime, there isn’t anything else you know about a physical Sword of God?” I ask.

“I’m afraid not.”

 “That’s okay,” Maggie says.  “I think this should give us a good starting point for our project.”