Engagement

(Manik's POV) Two weeks of travel and no rest yet. I am back at the Murthys' place for their youngest daughter's engagement. Engagements are supposed to be quiet affairs. Only marriages need to be blown up. People live together for the sake of society and when they can no longer bear being ignored, they divorce. They say they are in love, but are they really, with the show they put on? It is better to have a relationship where there is no commitment and enjoy yourself whenever you want and bid your byes as you like. Satisfy your infatuation, lust, whatever it is called. (This is what Manik wore)

When I entered, VM greeted me

When I entered, VM greeted me. I tried to be as polite as possible seeing that I was the only one from my family here. Dhruv, my youngest brother, said that he would be late but it is his excuse for not showing up. Later, he would say, he was held up in work. But everyone of us in our family know how talented he is and how fast he can work. Yet, none of us has cared to question him. He is not a social person. As I went inside the hall, I saw all the Murthys together. Navya was there and I went up greeted her and directly headed to where the drinks are. I better not talk to Navya. Not being able to sleep for more than two days straight has gotten me on the edges. One push of my temper and I will lose it. After some drinks, I finally thought of searching for my fiancée when I spotted Madhyam, a long time friend of mine among the crowd.

He noticed me and came to talk.

(Madhyam) "Oh what a pleasure to see you, "the great" Manik Malhotra here. You never show your face in parties. What brings you all the way here?" He seemed in a mood to be mocking.

(Manik) "I am the fiancé of Ms. Nandini Murthy." almost sounded with spite, I said, hoping that it would give him sufficient reasons.

(Madhyam) "Seriously? When did you catch her? I thought both of you refused to accept your mutual attraction."

(Manik's POV) Sigh. In a moment, my anger drained out and tiredness conquered me. He was one of those who saw her at the Christmas party where Nandini and I first met and they have been going on and on about it.

(Manik) "I didn't. It's for business." He didn't seem to expect this answer.

(Madhyam) "Oh! That's rare. I would have expected Manik but not you to accept it."

(Manik) "You think I even knew about all this? It was done behind my back." Not really. Its just that I don't care.

(Madhyam with a smirk) "Nevertheless, you still get to have things your way with the girl you are attracted to."

(Manik's POV) I have had enough warnings from Navya and the amount of travel I have been into the past few days and weeks to come, I am not really thrilled by the fact that I stubbornly took up a project that involves me to go around everywhere.

(Manik in anger) "One more word and I will punch your lights out. I am frustrated enough, I don't need you to enhance it. Besides, Navya will go berserk if I played with her cousin."