Chapter 16 - One For Luck

Zooey's POV

I contemplated going to the hospital with Liam.  I really wanted to but I knew if I went home late again my dad would not be happy.  He stood there though with those puppy dog eyes staring down at me telling me a million things without even having to utter a word.  His hand gently rubbing up and down my arm causing my body to tighten.

I think I have just about managed to hide the bruises from last night. My denim shirt is light but hides my arms well. My dad was really angry when I got home last night and was very drunk. I crept in the house late trying not to wake him but there he was standing there waiting to pounce.  He grabbed the top of my arms tight digging his nails in causing blood to trickle down my arm.  He, of course, didn’t notice – and didn’t care.  Holding back the tears I pushed my head to my chest hiding my face from injury too.  Eventually he stopped screaming at me and stumbled off.  Barely able to hold myself up due to fear I headed for my room locking it as I entered.  I took off my top looking at my arms.   The bruises weren’t visible yet but there were huge scratches along my arms where his nails had penetrated into them.  Carefully wiping them clean with one of my make up wipes I hid them in my bag making sure to dump them in the outside bin this morning.  

“Zooey?” Liam said somewhat singing it trying to get my attention.

“Huh?”

“Will you come?”

“Come where?”

“Are you ok?” He asked sarcastically. “To the hospital.  You know I kinda have a broken hand here.”

“Oh right. Ermmm. Yeah sure.” I said trying to convince myself it will be ok.

Growing up I had spent a lot of time in hospitals and they never got any better.  I often had broken bones from ‘falling down the stairs’ in the bungalow we stayed in or ‘falling off my bike’ that I had never learned to ride.  To be honest I’m surprised social services hadn’t taken me away by now. 

“Good. Let’s go then” Liam said taking my hand with his good one leading me out the door.  We walked in silence most of the way his glancing round at me now and again. 

Suddenly my body stopped.  Just as the hospital came into sight.  I just couldn’t move.

*********

The ward had a circular design, the nurse’s station situated in the middle with all the wards visible from it. The walls and doors were glass and they had curtains that can be closed for privacy.  I heard people moaning and calling for nurses. Beeps and monitors buzzing, the intercom calling for various doctors and the doors sliding as patients and doctors did their rounds.  I smelled a sterile chemical - antiseptic. The lights dim with one at the end of the corridor flickering.  It was dark outside but a street light shone through the shabby curtains making it difficult to sleep.    

*********

“Zooey?” Liam looked at me concerned.  Then came the tears. Not asking any questions he wrapped his good arm around me tight pulling my head to his chest.  I could hear his heart pounding and his lungs filling with air every few seconds.  With something else to concentrate on I calmed down.  Pulling away he kissed my forehead holding me just far enough away to see my face.  “Do you want to talk about it?”

I shook my head and a tear escaped, Liam wiping it away with his thumb.

“C’mon Angel.  Let’s go in.”

Taking a deep breath I stretched up smacking my lips hard against Liam’s.  One for luck.

A little shocked I think by my action a smile stretched across his face as his only working hand tickled down my spine and grazed over my bum.  “Oi! Don’t push yourself!”  I said smiling against his lips as I kissed him hard again. 

As we entered the hospital my heart pounded faster. Like a steam train racing along the tracks.  Seeing the anxiety on my face Liam pulled my closer squeezing my hand.  We got to the desk and they took his details.  The whole time holding my hand giving it a gentle squeeze now and again for reassurance. 

As time ticked by I felt my eyes getting heavier and heavier.  It was only 4.30pm but it felt like much later.  Our hands still linked I rested my head on his shoulder shutting my eyes for a just a few seconds. 

“Angel?” I heard a whisper in my ear. “Angel, wake up. It’s my turn.” I felt him kiss my head as I opened my sleep eyes confused as to where I was.

“Huh? Where are we?” I asked looking for any clue and catching a clock out the corner of my eye – 6.45pm.  So much for a few seconds.

“C’mon up you get.” He said holding my weak body up as we were lead through an array of curtained rooms. 

“So Mr Jacobs, what seems to be the problem?” the doctor asked. 

“I punched a wall.” Liam said stating the obvious looking pleased with himself. 

“I see.” The old guy with a beard said.  As if it wasn’t obvious.  Hadn’t he read the forms Liam had filled out? “Well I’ll have a wee look then.”  He said reaching toward his hand he had cradled to his chest the whole was here.  Still holding mine with his other hand, it was my turn to be the one reassuring.  As the doctor poked and prodded his hand Liam gently tensed his other. 

 After various x-rays and a small cast we were on our way.  “Thank you.” He said as we left the hospital.

“What for?”

“Holding my hand.”

Smiling I said “Are you really thanking me, the girl afraid of hospitals, for holding your hand?”

“Yeah.” He said leaving a long pause. “Zooey, why are you afraid of hospitals?”

Slightly angry at him asking that I removed my hand from his wrapping them around my body and walking quickly away.

“Zooey, talk to me!” He said chasing after me.  “Zooey.”

“Liam, I can’t. I want to but I can’t.”

“Why not?” he asked a puzzled look spreading across his face. 

The tears came flooding again like the memories in my head.  I want to tell him but I’m afraid.  Afraid something worse will happen.