Chapter 18

The healers kept tending to Legolas' wounds plenty of hours. The sun had risen loads of hours ago, and it was now slowly setting. Tauriel had insisted on standing out of the door till the moment when the healers would have finished. Thranduil had rested for a couple of hours and then continued doing his duty as a king. Elsaylen and Elrathon had rested too and they were now discussing with the king. Tauriel was pretty tired and hungry, but did not give in. She would see Legolas once the healers finished.

She was lost in her thoughts when the door opened and the healers got out one by one to attend some of their own businesses.
"Tauriel, what are you doing here? You were supposed to be resting" a healer asked her kindly.
"How is he?" she asked him anxiously. The healer sighed "We have done our best in tending his wounds. They seemed to be infected by something we don't know yet. We know not when he will exactly wake up. Time will tell" he answered sadly.
"Can I see him?" she pleaded. The healer thought of it for a moment before briefly nodding. She murmured a quick "Thank you" and opened the door.

Closing the door behind her, she took a look of Legolas. He was laying on his back on a white bed. He had been washed, his wounds bandaged, he was clad in pale grey clothes and a white sheet was covering his body. Tauriel slowly approached his sleeping form and happily noticed that his skin had gained some of its color.

She took a nearby chair, put it beside the bed and sat down. She took his hand into hers and stroke it gently. His face had a calm expression, unlike his current condition, his eyes closed and his mouth slightly open. He looked like a sleeping angel. She smiled at this, even though being on a verge of tears.
"Why did you do that to me Legolas? Why did you do that to all of us??" she whispered sorrowfully, knowing that he would not listen.
"You know, I had a dream. Kili was in it. He told me to stop grieving for him and go back to my family, because they were in need of me. I did not understand at first place, but now I do. I have indeed a family. You and Thranduil are my family. You are my family Legolas. I don't want to lose you. Please don't do this to me. Stay here, stay with me..." her voice trailed off and cried silently. After an hour, she managed to calm herself down. Seeing he would not wake up, at least not now, she stood up and let go of his hand. She leaned down and kissed his forehead before exiting the room.

Tauriel limped to her quarters and entered. She took off her dirty clothes and went straight to the bathroom. She sank into the water and closed her eyes. An enormous wave of emotions and thoughts comsumed her. She tried to send them away but failed. She thought about Legolas.
'How did he come to be like this?... He does not deserve this... He has always treated me as a very close friend...or something more..
I remember that moment, 67 years ago, when Thranduil said that the prince was fond of me...and that he would never allow his son to pledge himself to a lowly Silvan elf,...me..
Those times, before I fell for Kili...I-I had had some feelings for him.. But I knew that it was impossible of Legolas returning me feelings.. There is nothing special with me, it was clearly impossible. So, I gave up on him. At least I had Kili..I had. I don't think I will be able to love again..' she thought and a tear ran down her cheek.

After a while she got dressed and decided to sleep before meeting with the king. She climbed on her bed and once she layed down, sleep overtook her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elnor ran in full speed to the throne room. He has just been informed of the return of the prince and the king's party. The guards opened the large wooden door and he walked in.

Thranduil looked him from up his throne. He could sense that the young ellon was worried, even though he hid it well.
"Elnor. What brings you here?".
Elnor bowed "My Lord I was just informed of your arrival. I heard your quest is completed, you found the prince. I hope with all of my heart's might that the prince gets better"
"I hope too Elnor. But that is not the only reason of your coming, am I right?" Thranduil said and his piercing gaze burnt into Elnor's grey eyes.
"I-I just wanted to ask for your permission to see the prince"
"If that is what you want, I then give you my permission. You may go now" Thranduil said and dismissed Elnor with a wave of his hand.