Chapter 3

~Back in Rivendell ~

Aragorn and Gimli were walking in the forest of Rivendell, admiring and enjoying the beauty that surrounded them, when they finally saw the palace of Rivendell.

"It was high time we reached the palace! This forest seemed endless!" said Gimli with a complaining tone.

"Don't you tell me that you didn't enjoy the peace and beauty of the forest, my friend?!" Aragorn chuckled while smiling to Gimli.

"Aye, I enjoyed it very much. But I can't wait to see Legolas again! It has been almost 5 years since we last saw him." Gimli replied happily.

"Ha, seems that you two have become very close friends. Never in my life had I heard that a dwarf befriended and elf!" Aragorn chuckled again and laughed.

"What's the matter? He isn't like the other elves."

"For you have met lots of them, haven't you?" Aragorn said sarcastically and laughed more; that left Gimli speechless.

"Ok, you got me there. So, are we going to enter the palace on our own, or are any of those damn elves going to escort us?" asked Gimli with a hint of bitterness in his voice.

As he said that, two elves showed up from behind two trees.

"To your disappointness, master dwarf, two of those damn elves have already come to escort the two of you" told one of the two elves to Gimli who growled in frustration.

"Uh, Elladan! Long time no see gwador nin!" Aragorn breathed and hugged Elladan.

"Welcome back home Estel." said Elrohir and joined the hug.

Gimli coughed loudly to draw everyone's attention. When he did, he said "Uh, you two must be Lord Elrond's sons. You are the same as I imagined you" and with that the rest laughed out loud.

Elrohir rolled his eyes like saying 'dwarves'.

"Ok guys! Let's go now because our father will get angry if we are not on time there." replied Elladan and clasped his hands behind his back.

Then the four made their way to the palace. When they entered the Great Hall, Elrond was already there to greet them.

"Welcome home Estel, ion nin." said Elrond and hugged Aragorn tightly.

"Welcome too master Gimli." Elrond told Gimli while smiling warmly to him.

"We are pleased to see you again. But, where is Legolas?". As those words left Aragorn's lips, Legolas slammed the doors open and entered the hall in a rush.

He had been running the distance between his chambers and the hall, as he knew he was late.

When he saw Aragorn and Gimli, he rushed to their side and hugged them tightly.

"Welcome my friends. I am so delighted to see you again. I missed you so much!" Legolas told them after he pulled away.

"We are both very delighted to see you again too mellon nin." Aragorn replied and smiled at Legolas warmly.

"We missed you too laddy. It was about time we met again." said Gimli and smiled at Legolas too.

"Well, now that we finished the greetings, Elladan and Elrohir will escort you to your chambers, so that you have your time to rest properly for tomorrow's journey to Mirkwood. The dinner will be ready in a few minutes." Elrond said and turned to leave.

"I hope there is meat" complained Gimli and Aragorn and Legolas laughed loudly.

Then, the twins escorted Aragorn and Gimli to their chambers, while Legolas headed to the dining hall.