CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

~ P R O M I S E S ~

⤝ ⤝ ⤝ ⤝ ⤝ ⤝ ⤝   R O S E   ⤞ ⤞ ⤞ ⤞ ⤞ ⤞ ⤞

I walked back up the mansion in a trance, stepping slowly down the marble hallways as I headed for the room that I'd woken up in, not completely aware of my surrounding.

I was too busy thinking about what I had to do now. I knew that I could no longer count on Jake to stop his father's and Sean's plan to attack the Fogoso's which meant that the only other option I had to prevent Sean from fighting in the upcoming war was to go straight to Sean and try to talk him out of it.

 Snapping out of my trance and thinking about what I would say to him, I tried to find Sean.

 That turned out to far easier said than done.

 It was impossible to find him in this enormous place and after my feet were beyond sore, I gave up and was retreating back to the room I'd woken up in, hoping that I was right and it was for Sean and me.

 I'd just climbed up onto the second story where the room was when I heard a pair of urgent voices, one masculine and worriedly urgent while the other was feminine and timidly polite.

 Wondering what was going on, I quickened my pace, rounded a corner and was met with the sight of Sean, standing in front of a maid. He was speaking urgently with her in brisk Italian, his hand gestures and his widened eyes telling me that he was very, very worried.

 So, before he could further terrify the young, timid maid, I quickly cleared my throat to announce myself.

 As soon as he heard me, Sean turned and the frown on his face disappeared along with the worry in his eyes as he laid his eyes on me. The maid took this as an opportunity to quickly return to the painting she'd been dusting.

 "Rose," Sean whispered, walking towards me and embracing me, tightly.

 Confused, I glanced at the open door to the room I'd woken up in and realized that Sean must've come up here to see me after Riccardo had dismissed him and had gotten worried after he'd seen the room empty. He'd obviously immediately started grilling innocent, timid maids about me after that.

 "What were you thinking, roaming around in this place?" he demanded, pulling me away so he could look into my face. "You know you could've gotten lost, none of these useless maids speak English!"

 I quickly shot an apologetic smile at the maid at Sean's words, feeling like I owed it to her even though she didn't understand English and was quickly walking away after finishing dusting the painting.

" Are you feeling okay?" Sean asked, persistently. "Is the concussion gone or are you still experiencing dizziness or disorientation?"

 "I'm fine!" I quickly assured him, ignoring the stomach ache that had been bothering me since I'd woken up. I was sure it was just because I hadn't eaten in a while.

 Sean looked at, his eyes narrowed, skeptically.

 "How many fingers am I holding up?" he asked, holding up two fingers in front of me.

 "Sean!" I cried out, mildly annoyed as I reached out, grabbed the fingers and lowered his hand. "I'm fine!"

 Sean stared at me for a little while but sighed and began ushering me into the room.

 "You should've waited for me instead of roaming around," he said as he closed the door behind us.

 "I was going to but Angie came and asked me to get ready for lunch," I defended myself.