Chapter 1

The jet rattled in the turbulent weather, the ambient red lights of the passenger bay flickering with each dip in altitude. The Darkpathe - a Syntech stealth craft designed to infiltrate hostile territory or traverse areas affected by The Cataclysm - allowed for unprecedented air-to-ground drops and extractions without the usual risk of detection.

Shan Li sat strapped into one of six pods lining the back section of the aircraft, the other pods occupied by Syntech soldiers. In its neutral state, the pods remained open, allowing the passengers to move about and converse. Comfort was not a focal point as The Darkpathe had only one purpose and it performed with the utmost efficiency.

A crackling static filled the chamber, followed by the smooth voice of the pilot. "All clear of the outer jet streams. We've officially entered the Blackout Zone. ETA minus ten minutes." The announcement, and its static, ended with an audible click.

The Blackout Zone, a massive region of southeast Asia, named as such as a result of a failed experiment in which a compound was released into the atmosphere to combat rising global temperatures. The goal had been to generate additional cloud cover to cycle through the jet streams, but many aspects of the planet had changed following The Cataclysm, and without the proper testing, the compound had plunged Indonesia and its neighbors into perpetual darkness beneath a swirling vortex of black clouds.

Shan Li despised the Blackout Zone and its conniving governments, especially MALMAL, a rival of Syntech's. They sought to undermine Syntech's expansion with militarized efforts, and although this rivalry had caused many deaths on both sides, their ethics were at the heart of Shan's loathing. They cared little for humanity as a whole, and would do anything to gain the advantage.

"Oh man, are you guys ready for this? I sure am," said a young soldier in the pod across from her. He was a part of the special forces unit accompanying Shan on her mission, apparently top of his class.

"What did I say about talking," Shan Li said flatly.

"Uh, 'No talking unless it's about the mission or I'll end you,' I believe were your exact words," he said.

"C'mon, Rew. DEITY Shan ain't lying when she says she'll shut you up for good. I've seen it done 'fore with m'own eyes." Sergeant Hayman shot her an affectionate glance, but she wasn't amused. She'd worked with the man before and he was extremely efficient in the field, however, he did seem to stare a little too much.

"But it is about the mission, technically," Rew said, his eyes darting back and forth between them. The boy's eyes screamed inexperience. It reminded Shan of the days when she was a mentor.

"Sorry, Shan. The kid's got a pro'lem with his mouth. I ne'er figured out how to shut 'em up." Shan closed her eyes, wondering when they'd all just seal their traps.

"Well, at any rate, I'm excited to finally test Claudette out in the field. She's got this spitfire feature which simply kills the competition," he said, caressing the stocky submachine gun in his lap.

"Still not about the mis- Wait, did you just say your weapon's name was Claudette?" Shan asked, scrunching one side of her face in curious bewilderment.

"Sure did. I'd like to think she's a fine catch. That if you treat her nice enough, respect her 'n all that, then she'll have your back. But if you get on her bad side... spitfire," Rew said, whispering the last word.

Shan rolled her eyes. What on Earth had Syntech been thinking sending this kid to accompany her on this so-called "high-priority mission"? She was a veteran DEITY, known to carry out her objectives with expert efficiency, without the need for babbling recruits ruining her concentration. She could imagine Mayundar and Unity snickering in one of their governmental meetings, scheming about how else to drive her completely mad.