Epilogue

"Ma'am, Shan Li has been recovered," the soldier said. She was clad in the sleek, black armor of Syntech's special forces unit, her hair cut short on the sides with the rest pulled back in a tight bun. She stood at attention, respecting the authority of the CFO sitting before her.

"And?" Unity LaCroix said, still leaning back in her chair as if unconcerned.

"She lives. However, she sustained significant injuries during her mission in MALMAL territory, and has been transferred to the CCC within the military hospital. They say she's stable, ma'am."

Mayundar Nezlo, standing behind the soldier, half listened as he stared out of the CFO's office window. The room was positioned between two of the three main towers at the center of Sanctuary. The bridge was one of many connecting the three buildings, but did more than house the offices of Sanctuary's elites. Their lower levels facilitated foot traffic for businessmen, leaders, and advisors, while the upper levels contained The Board's members. A third tower completed the triangular formation, which only a select few ever entered, for it belonged to The Chairman.

The waterfall filling the view to the east reminded the former DEITY of Shan Li and her countless hours of meditation beneath its spray. He wished he could go back in time to warn her. To tell her that he'd suspected something would go wrong on this mission. But he frowned at the childish thought.

"Did Shan Li have anything of... value on her person?"

"No, ma'am... Not to my knowledge."

"What of the others?" Unity said. This caught the attention of Mayundar and he turned from the wall of glass.

"We-" the soldier started, before May cut her off.

"Wait, what others?" he asked, stepping forward.

The CFO leaned forward with squinted eyes. He could tell she'd expected this reaction from him, but was annoyed that her prediction had come true. "May, this doesn't concern you."

"I'm your advisor. I'd like to think that matters of war concern me," he said. He wasn't sure why he was speaking out. He'd never dared to do so before. The news of Shan had sparked something in him that he hadn't known still existed.

"Watch yourself, Mayundar. I do not like your tone," Unity said, her lips becoming thin.

The soldier snuck a glance at the former DEITY now standing to her right. Most of the soldiers had heard at least one story about the legendary fighter that lost his chance at greatness. When he looked at her, she jerked her eyes away to stare at the wall ahead of her.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I don't know what came over me."

The CFO leaned back in her chair once more, her eyes lingering on May for a strained moment. "Go on," she ordered.

"Um, yes, ma'am. The soldiers that'd accompanied Shan Li were not found. We think that they might have been lost in the destruction of Darkpathe, or when they reached the underground facility."

Unity studied the top of her desk as she considered the soldier's report. "That is all. Thank you," she said, not looking at the young soldier again. She stood from her chair, walking to the window overlooking the city.

May saw the soldier out of the room. He closed the door behind her, resting his hand on its frame as if he'd collapse without its support. His emotions were begging to run wild, but he forced himself to keep them under control. Turning back, he studied the thoughtful CFO. She seemed conflicted with something as she stared blankly down at the surrounding cityscape. Possibly something that even her most trusted advisor couldn't know.