Prologue

A soft spray drifted like mist over the fields of the preserve at the northernmost section of the city. At midday, the sun lingered overhead, its rays glistening upon the calm waters of the lake surrounding Sanctuary. The roar of the waterfall drowned out the bustle of traffic not too far off.

The preserve, however, remained tranquil on this day. And even though the sun's warmth beat down in a relentless blaze, the cool air that perpetually enveloped the isolated city allowed its inhabitants to live in relative comfort.

Sitting cross-legged at the edge of the preserve, Shan Li faced the falling water. She came here often, to escape the city and meditate. These moments belonged to her, allowing her to maintain what tiny grasp of control she had over her own life, the rest of it having been sacrificed to fulfill Syntech's ever-growing agenda.

Out of habit, she unconsciously raised a hand to her face. Her fingers caressed the large scar of a burn she'd sustained long ago. There was no hiding these marks of battle that were forever stamped upon her skin. But much like her tattoos – wrapping each bicep in a bluish band – they were symbols of her pride. They were a part of her.

"I knew I'd find you here," came a familiar voice from behind. Shan wasn't startled by any means, but she did lower her hand back down to rest on her thigh. She opened her eyes, letting her vision adjust to the sunlight, but remained focused on the lake's glossy sheen.

"I come here for a reason, you know," Shan said.

"Ah, yes. Well, can't an old friend drop by from time to time and say hello?" the man sighed.

"What is it, May? What would bring you all the way out here? Not simply to speak with me, I hope," she said, turning her head to view her old friend.

He wore simple white robes which hung past his waist, dashed in the red and blue hues of the modern style. His black pants bagged around his ankles, leaving his sandals exposed. Middle-aged, his features were handsome and strong, despite the cane resting lazily at his side. The bright red of his hair, spiked down the middle of his otherwise bald head, captured what little remained of his youth.

Mayundar hesitated, seeming conflicted. "I didn't want to do this to you, not now... but The Board has demanded you report in."

Shan studied her friend. A former DEITY, Mayundar had made quite an impression on The Board during his short time in the field before the accident. Now, as a member of Syntech's government, he dealt with pressing issues on a daily basis, but something had him looking haggard, more so than usual.

"What is it they want now? Can't they send one of the newly-graduated DEITY's?"

"I'm afraid I can't elaborate any further until we're in a more secure environment. But I think you should know that the CFO specifically designated you for this operation," Mayundar said, not breaking his gaze from Shan's.

The CFO? What could possibly be so important that one of the highest heads in the Syntech government was requesting her? Nevertheless, they had her attention. Shan Li rose to her feet, dusting the grass from her pants. She reached down and grabbed ATLAS, her pneumatic hammer of personal design, securing it in the harness on her back. The weight of it was comforting.

"Well, friend, it looks as if I don't have much of a choice in the matter," Shan said.

Mayundar chuckled. "I'm sorry, Shan. I do hate to be the bearer of bad news."

A grin spread at the corners of her lips, which soon faded as she became aware of its existence. When was the last time she'd smiled? She couldn't remember.

She turned to regard the scenery once more. It would seem that even the few moments she'd assumed were hers still got snatched away by Syntech and its nagging bureaucracy. Sanctuary was worth it, right? If serving her government meant that another citizen could enjoy the beauty of this place in peace, then it was all justified. Even if it meant putting her own life on the line.

"Show me the way," Shan Li said with a sigh, turning away from the calm waters of paradise.