Unfabulously Pretty: Chapter Fifty-Eight

Start from the beginning

          Guys like him don’t deserve sympathy, I was right about that part, but that doesn’t mean that they should be ignored forever, too. The poor guy is probably suffering enough already, mentally of course. Although I highly doubt that he’d want to see me at all, but I think it’s only right of me to visit him anyway. Besides, it’s not like he can hurt me now, he’s behind bars for crying out loud.

          So…am I really going to do this? Am I really going to visit him, in jail? Well, judging by my current action (which is switching off the TV and leaving my room), I think I am and you have no idea how crazy that feels, literally.

          Okay, a slight problem here. How am I going to get there? Tessa is at work, Dad is at work, Mom obviously won’t drive me to jail…wait, who was that who had given me a lift home? Danielle? Oh right! Danielle has a car! She can drive me there! But then again, why would she do that? She has much better to do than driving her not-so-close friend to jail, right? And she’s not even a friend of Drew’s so this probably won’t benefit her at all, except of burning some gas from her car. But hey, it’s still worth a try, right?

          I had scrolled down my contact list to the D section and searched for Danielle’s name which is the only D there, besides Drew. Man, I didn’t realize I have this few friends. It’s probably because I’m a reserved person, or should I just say that I’m hard to get along with? I’m guessing both.

          I sighed silently and jabbed the call button and waited for her to pick up. Man, this is just too crazy.

                                                *        *        *

No, let me rephrase that last part, this is just too crazy.

          “Of course I’d drive you there. Besides, it’s not like I have anything better to do. What, you didn’t think that I wouldn’t drive you there because it’s the jail, right?” said Danielle incredulously.

          “Uh, no, that never crossed my mind.” I had replied feebly.

          So yeah, that is pretty unexpected if you ask me. Now we’re both standing in front of a grayish-white building with the huge letters ‘JAIL’ on it, and believe me, it’s already scary outside, and I can’t believe I’m actually going in.

          I had to explain a lot before the police would finally let me in. Well, I guess jails aren’t as friendly as your usual townie, that’s for sure. Lucky for me, Drew’s side of the cage wasn’t close to any of those torturing places, or whatever they call, so I wouldn’t have to stumble across some frozen dead bodies or dried blood, or even violence or cruel stuff. Well, I hate violence, so you get the point.

          “Uh, you know, it’s getting a little creepy, so…” Danielle stuttered. “I’ll wait for you right here.”

          “Mm, okay.” I muttered and followed the policeman deeper inside. This place is kind of bright, for a jail.

          All the prisoners look scary. Some look like zombies, some just look insane. I don’t blame them, I’m sure people go insane when you’re locked away from freedom for so long. It’s kind of sad actually, but I’m sure they must’ve done something terribly wrong, so I guess they deserve it?

          “There he is.” Said the policeman firmly. I was waiting for him to leave so I could talk with Drew in private, not that there’s anything personal about the conversation that we’re about to have. But it seems to me that he’s not going to budge, so I gave up waiting to avoid looking suspicious and just headed towards Drew’s cell.