Drabble Prompts: Another World

Walking the halls, Spencer felt like he was in another world.

He'd woken up moments ago confused by the unfamiliar bedroom. It was grand, a huge four poster bed with soft fluffy carpets. At first he thought perhaps he'd been in an accident, he couldn't remember anything from the previous 24 hours. But he didn't feel any pain anywhere and he wasn't hooked up to any machines.

Had he been taken captive somewhere?

Unable to find his cell or gun, or even his own clothes for that matter, he slipped out of the room tugging on a thick lush dressing gown that he'd found on a hook on the back of the door, slipping his feet into the slippers that had been nearby. Carefully he opened the door and padded as quietly down the hallway as he could.

The walls were adorned with paintings, none of which he recognised. Each door he came to he attempted to open, but none would allow him access until he came to the end of the hall.

The doorway that opened to him there led into a huge room, with floor to ceiling bookcases all lined with books. The room was flooded with light from a glass ceiling and he could smell the familiar smell of coffee and cake. He ventured into the room spotting a table with two chairs towards the back. One of the chairs was occupied and as he grew nearer he could see the occupant was playing chess.

"Excuse me..?"

The person didn't look up until Spencer was right by his side and when he did Spencer became more confused than ever.

"Ahhh, finally. Someone decent to play against. Pull up a chair and I'll reset the board."

"Gideon? What... Where am I?"

His old mentor gave him a sad smile as Reid sat down opposite him.

"This is a dream, right?" Spencer asked although it felt like no other dream he'd had.

"No Spencer, it's not a dream."

"Then.... How?"

"Take a look around you son, at the other tables."

There hadn't been any other tables, Reid had been sure of that. But now there was.   And the occupants of each table confused him more and more.

His old college lecturer, Dr Ainsley. His father's sister, Sarah. His old unit chief, Erin Strauss. His grandmother. In the furthest corner he could see a brunette, someone he'd only ever had chance to talk to in person once, Maeve.

And opposite him, Jason Gideon.

The events of the last 24 hours suddenly came flooding back. The gunfire, the pain in his chest. The ambulance sirens, the sound of Derek begging for him to hold on a bit longer.

"Gideon... Am I...?" he couldn't say the word, not yet.

"I'm so very sorry Spencer."