Picture Perfect - One

“I can’t believe you’re making me go to a wedding fayre with you.”

“Stop grumbling,” you told your friend from the drivers seat. “You chose our last outing and I didn’t whinge about being dragged around the Doctor Who exhibition did I?”

“No but only because you were just as excited as I was. This seems wrong though, we’re not getting married, we’re not even a couple.”

“For the purpose of today though we are. We’re getting married in two years time at a beautiful country home in West Virginia, Hawthorne House. Remember that, it’s important.” You signalled to into the parking lot of the venue where the fayre was taking place.

“You want me to lie? That’s wrong, it’s dishonest.”

“No what’s wrong is the amount they charge you for make up in the stores. Here, I can pick up enough free samples to keep me going for a good few months as well as a load of discount vouchers to enable me to purchase all the products I need to look like a blushing bride on my wedding day. Plus, there’ll be free cake samples, and I know how much you like cake.”

“You sound like you’ve done this before,” Spencer glanced at you with his eyes narrowed slightly, still looking uncomfortable with the idea of pretending to be engaged to you, his best female friend of three years.

“I have. Lots of times. What do you think me and Garcia do when we have our girly day trips. It’s great, we both get treated like Queens and get to play dress up with the gorgeous gowns. And we both walk away with our make up bags fully restocked.”

Reid shook his head at you and you knew he was planning on making some snarky comment to her when he went back to work on Monday. It was shame you wouldn’t be there to see that. You’d met Penelope four years ago when you moved into her apartment building, two doors down from her. She’d turned up at your door with a welcome hamper and you two had quickly become bossom buddies. She’d dragged you out with her one night where you’d met the rest of her beloved team and you and Spencer had quickly bonded over your love of books and Doctor Who as well as many other things. Now he was just as important to your life as she was.

“Alright so you get free make up and discount vouchers out of this little charade, what do I get?”

Pulling into a parking space carefully and switching the engine off, you turned to your friend.

“You mean aside from the free cake and spending the day with your best friend? Is that not enough?”

Spencer just stared at you, his mouth set in a straight line.

“Fine. I thought this would happen so I came prepared.”

You reached into the back seat and pulled out a paper bag.

“Inside here is that ridiculously long Russian film that you’ve been trying to make me watch for months. This is the limited edition, collectors release with added cast interviews. Personally, I’d much rather watch the Clooney remake, considering it’s seventy minutes shorter, but this is my offering.”

Spencer took the bag from your hands and peeked inside, making sure you weren’t bluffing. He sighed and undid his seat belt.

“I guess if you can bring yourself to watch Solaris with me, I can play at being fake fiancé for a few hours.”

“Good boy.”

You’d spent the first hour walking around the stalls and stands with Spencer begrudgingly holding your hand in his to play into the illusion. To give him his dues, Spencer was playing along very nicely, nodding along and telling the stand owners how lucky he was and how he couldn’t wait for your special day. You found yourself smiling on multiple occasions and actually almost welling up when one of the stand owners who was showing you different foundation shades, asked how Spencer had promised.