The Best Thing

"Come on Y/N! Get up there. We only come to this dreadful karaoke bar to hear you sing."

"Yeah sugar lips, go and give me some of that sweet sweet music I've been craving."

The rest of the team were spurring you on, but like almost every other time you'd been to this bar with your friends and coworkers, you weren't feeling it tonight.

You hadn't been feeling it all week if you were being honest. But you hadn't really told anyone why. Your best male friend on the team, Spencer had asked you a few times what was wrong but you'd made excuses. You'd told your best female friend Penelope, but you'd made her promise not to tell the others yet. You didn't want all of the questions, not yet when it was so raw.

The group tried to get together once a month or so outside of work to inject some much needed fun into their lives. Given where you all worked, it was nice to let your hair down. Twelve months ago you'd lost a dare and ended up singing karaoke and everyone had loved it, commenting on how good you were. You always laughed them off, you weren't terrible but you were no Adele.

After cajoling you a bit more, the team grinned as you downed your drink and went up to speak to the DJ to see if he had the song that had come to mind. He hasn't but he could download it and strip back the lead vocals easily if you knew the words. You did.

You gave him a few minutes, just chatting away with him. You knew the DJ fairly well by now with the amount of times you'd sung. He plugged some headphones into his laptop and handed them to you, so you could check he'd got stripped it to you satisfaction. You grinned and nodded.

"I recognise the song. Sucks to be him right now, as I imagine you were." He winked at you and you laughed, taking up your place behind the mic as the beat kicked in.

"I let you get away with thinking you're the cure
I think I'm in too deep, it's time to pull the cord
You like me more when you think, I'm getting bored
I hope you're home the day I tear down the walls."

You scanned the bar, seeing the team watching you with smiles and their faces as you jumped into the chorus.

"I won't settle, settle, settle,
You are never gonna hold me down
So toxic, you ain't nothin' but a prick
I'm the best thing that never happened to you
Never, never, never, you are never gonna live this down
Life's too short, I can't fake it anymore
I'm the best thing that never happened to you"

You watched Spencers brow furrow as be took in the lyrics. If anyone would read into this song, it would be him.

"Don't you get sick of only hearing your own voice?
Talk like you're so damn tough but you're just a little boy
You like to think you've broke the mold but now I'm sure,
You'll crack just like the rest when I break your fucking jaw"

You were swaying along with the beat now, getting into the song and actually enjoying singing it. It felt good, even if he wasn't here to hear you sing it at him.

"I won't settle, settle, settle,
You are never gonna hold me down
So toxic, you ain't nothin' but a prick
I'm the best thing that never happened to you
Never, never, never, you are never gonna live this down
Life's too short, I can't fake it anymore
I'm the best thing that never happened to you

I won't settle, I won't settle, I won't settle"

Spencer leaned over to Penelope and whispered something into her ear. She nodded at him in response.

"I won't settle, settle, settle,
You are never gonna hold me down
So toxic, you ain't nothin' but a prick
I'm the best thing that never happened to you
Never, never, never, you are never gonna live this down
Life's too short, I can't fake it anymore
I'm the best thing that never happened to you"

You bought the song to a close and gave a little bow to the audience who clapped, before giving the DJ a thumbs up and hopping off the stage.

Instead of going back to the table, you went to the bar, needing another drink. Waiting for the barman to grab your water, you felt a presence beside you. Spencer.

"Can we go outside a sec?" He asked.

You collected your water and nodded, leading him around the tables and out into the cool night air. You leaned against the wall and took a swig of your drink.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because it's not your problem."

"I thought I was one of the your best friends Y/N. When you break up with someone, you generally tell your best friends."

He looked hurt and you felt bad.

"Hey." You touched his arm. "You are my best friend, I just didn't want the questions. I was gonna wait a few weeks, in only happened last weekend."

"So that's why you've been quiet all week. You should have told me, I'd have.. I dunno. Bought you ice-cream and watched chic flicks with you or whatever it is that girl pals do nowadays when there's been a break up."

"Spencer that's sweet, and really kind. But I just wanted to be alone for a bit. I'm starting to be okay with it now, it just stings a bit is all. He was seeing another girl from his office and I found out."

"I'll kill him... Wait no. I'll send Derek to kill him."

You laughed at him. "Spence, no. It's fine. I'm good. Or at least I will be with friends like you around."

You pulled him in for a quick hug, resting your head on his shoulder.

" Y/N. I'm glad you two broke up ya know? You're way to good for him. You're way to good for anyone."

You kissed his cheek and pulled away from him.

"Nope. You're the one that's way too good for anyone Spencer Reid. Especially with smooth lines like that. Such a lady killer. Shall we go back inside? I can feel another 'fuck you' song coming on."

"Which one this time?"

"The Queen herself, KC. Never Again." You walked back inside.

Spencer hesitated slightly before following you.

"Nope" he thought to himself. "Now was definitely NOT the right time tell her that he was hopelessly and irrevocably in love with her."

Maybe in a few months.